• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talk and Note 2

ChadEric38

Lurker
Nov 11, 2012
I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with.

1. Im planning on buying a new Galaxy Note 2 and going to use the $45 Straight Talk plan, I know the data is some what not unlimited from what i've been reading but that's really not a problem for me. My main question is which phone is best to buy for the best performance etc. I believe I can just buy the At&t Note 2 and pop the sim that I bought from Straight Talk in it and everything works? But is there any difference if I was to buy a unlocked version off of ebay, speed, options or specs different...or is there a differnce in what I could get like 3G, 4G or HSPA (I don't know what that stands for?)

2. My best signal here is Verizon with At&t pretty close to same, tmobile or anything else isn't a option here. I have some friends on Straight Talk and some use Verizon and some use At&t towers from what they say anyways, so my question is do I have a choice in which towers I use? I would prefer to use Verizon towers of course but didn't even know if that is possible?

Thanks, any help or direction is much appreciated. :) Since this is around a $700 purchase I just wanna make sure I get the best info I can.

1. Most say you get throttled after 2GB of data usage, There is no difference in if you buy it new or from eBay you will get the same features

2. When you buy a sim card from straight talks website it asks you what kind of sim you want so just pick the one that says AT&T(http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpd...cards&zip=33413&market=GSM4&locale=en&lang=EN) the micro sim is the one the note 2 uses, The phone isn't compatible with Verizon's network anyway

Upvote 0
I would first check the coverage in your area of t mobile and att before you choose a SIM card. Either one will work but gotta make sure the coverage is good or you'll be sitting there with edge speeds and no 4g.

Your best bet is to just buy the unlocked version. EBay was running their daily deals on the note 2 not too long ago and had it for 599. But you can get either an att or t mobile one as well and just unlock it.

I have no complaints thus far with st. If you end up having great coverage for both carriers, go with the t mobile sim. You will have much faster data speeds plus most users report the cap has a lot more leniency. Up to 5gigs a month consistently it's what people area using unlike the 2gigs with att. I stress, check the coverage before you commit. Check att and t mobiles site, not on straight talk. You want the highest "color" or the one up under the highest for your area. "Good" color will leave you with no 4g and only edge. If you have anymore questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: suzola
Upvote 0
I have an unlocked T-Mobile Note 2. I unlocked it myself from a post on SD. I use the AT&T sim on ST and it works fine. Im in Memphis and avg about 5-7 dwn & 2 up. I also have it on T-Mobile's prepaid plan. I am trying out ST 4 a month. The speeds are very comparable, I just hate going to Edge on T-Mobile when traveling.

Upvote 0
can anyone help me get mt unlocked gsm AT&T Galaxy note II on Straight talk network. ordered a sim card, installed it, still cant get activated
If this is a recent order for the sim it must be the t mobile sim?

When you say activated what do you mean?

At&t phones, including the note 2 do not have 1700/2100 frequency for HSPA.

Though in the case of the note 2 the hardware is there but software locked out. That is fixable but that is a different discussion.

So not having those frequencies they will only get edge unless you live where tmobile has refarmed for 1900 hspa.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones