• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange Seaker Issues?

arkwright

Feb 13, 2011
Hi all

Yesterday for no apparent reason, the earpiece stopped working on my 2104 Moto G 4G.

I can listen to a telephone conversion through the rear external speaker if I put the phone on speaker phone, but the rear external speaker does not work when I try to play media files.

The phone works fine through headphones.

So to summarise, the earpiece doesn't work at all. The external speaker works with phone calls and notifications etc but does no work with media files such as music and videos.

Any ideas?

When you plug something into the headphone jack on many Android phones it reduces the volume automatically. The reason is someone's opinion to protect your hearing. So adjust the volume after plugging something in.

It also seems that you might have a physical problem.

With all volume controls set to maximum
The normal approach to evaluating any problem ...
First Wipe Cache Partition deleting only temporary files.
If the problem is still there ... reboot into Safe Mode. If the problem disappears it is caused by an app that you added. If it is still there you probably have a hardware or firmware problem. Replacement and/or Factory Data Reset will likely be the next step.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Did a factory reset this morning and has made no difference I'm afraid.

I was thinking hardware problem, but doesn't seem to make sense that the external speaker works perfectly well for everything except media files.

Something else I've just noticed which may or may not be connected, the proximity sensor appears to have stopped working when I put the phone to my ear.

Upvote 0
Tried safe mode but no luck I'm afraid...

I was considering rooting and trying a custom ROM but can't seem to grasp the instructions for unlocking the bootloader so I've abandoned that idea as well at the moment.

looks like the credit card is going to have to make an appearance and purchase a new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones