• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck on reboot!

StevePaget

Lurker
Mar 31, 2009
Hi all. Sorry to make my first post here a plea, but my phone seems to be in trouble.

It ran out of battery, so I plugged it into a car charger. After a few minutes I truend it on, so it could chrage while active. Now it is locked in a reboot cycle. The animated Android screen appears, then fades after a few seconds, only to return again. It continues to do this.

I'd rather not do a hard reset. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

OK I think I can replicate this.

It only seems to happen when I let the battery run out fully, and it happens if I am running an application that is writing to the SD card (such as My Tracks).

This morning I tested the theory. I let it deplete while recording a track last night. Then I fully charged it over night. When I switched on this morning it booted OK, then after about a minute it rebooted and the Android boot cycle started again.

I'll buy a new SD card to see if that solves it. But can anyone else replicate this? (I appreciate you might not want to have to perform a factory reset!)

Upvote 0
OK I think I can replicate this.

It only seems to happen when I let the battery run out fully, and it happens if I am running an application that is writing to the SD card (such as My Tracks).

This morning I tested the theory. I let it deplete while recording a track last night. Then I fully charged it over night. When I switched on this morning it booted OK, then after about a minute it rebooted and the Android boot cycle started again.

I'll buy a new SD card to see if that solves it. But can anyone else replicate this? (I appreciate you might not want to have to perform a factory reset!)

Refer to msg #3 in this thread ... Perform a "Safe Mode" boot ..

this should clear the issue ...

I always power down first ... remove battery ... wait 2 minutes... reinstalled battery ... then perform "Safe Mode Boot" ... be sure to hold Menu until all processing is finish and you see faint transparent text in bottom left corner of screen "Safe Mode"

power off ... remove battery .., wait 2 min ... reinstall battery and power up normally ...

This process will clear many problems where programs have become hung in odd loops ...

Upvote 0
If all else fails, do a complete wipe of your phone. Only do this if nothing else has worked as this will erase ALL the apps and ALL your data from the phone. This isn't as bad as it sounds as anything on your SD card is safe, and you can redownload all your purchased apps from Market. But it is painful to go through setup all over again... Still, this has rescued me more than once so it is worth a shot.

1. Reboot and immediately hold down the Home button
2. You'll get an image of a warning icon.
3. Slide open the keyboard and press Alt + L
4. Then press Alt + W
5. Reboot again and hope it starts up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones