• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stylus problems AGAIN

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
I know I must be an idiot. If I weren't I wouldn't have gotten another Moto G Stylus. I hate that it's the sucky newer kind with that smashed in power button where it's supposed to stick out, but it's almost impossible to tell from the pictures. I wish there were some way to force them to go back to the right way. This one was working just fine until today. Now it's done the boot loop thing three times. I'm probably lucky it's working right now. No, it's not the charge because it was almost full, and storage is at less than half, not to mention that I have plenty sd. Is there some fatal flaw with these things? Why can't we get a phone with a lot of internal storage, high sd caoacity, and a removable battery? Maybe if enough of us loudly demanded it, it would finally happen.

It did it again. The first was very short. The second lasted at least one hour. I might have made a mistake by plugging it in, because as soon as I unplugged it, it straightened right up, and I noticed that it was very warm, not to mention that it was not charging.

Upvote 0
It did it again. The first was very short. The second lasted at least one hour. I might have made a mistake by plugging it in, because as soon as I unplugged it, it straightened right up, and I noticed that it was very warm, not to mention that it was not charging.
Back everything up then do a factory reset, sounds more like a hardware issue though rather than a software issue.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
Well I just put the new sd card in the Stylus. It was amazingly easy once I got that stupid drawer on the side open. Then the darn thing wouldn't switch on, and I plugged it up, only to find it was at 100%, as it should have been after all this time. (I haven't used it in maybe a week.) Then it went froot loops for boot loops yet again. It's been doing that now for about 60 minutes. I unplugged it in hopes it wouldn't get a fever, to no avail. I've tried holding down that crappy concave power button, which seems to do nothing. Should I get some spudgers? I admit I don't know how to use them but they probably include instructions and I think they're relatively cheap. In the good ol' days it was possible just to open a phone, remove the battery, and (usually) have everything all happy. Is there anything else I can do to fix this piece of junk?

Upvote 0
I took it out of the fridge last night. It was cool and seemingly dead. I tried plugging it up a couple times today. Both of them went the same way. There was that little bright white light and it showed the battery charging symbol. It claimed 0%. Then it went into the very front part of the Looney Tunes bootup sequence. Now it's alternating between the charging and the logo. I sure hope it ain't "That's all, folks"...

Upvote 0
Moto has really gone to crap since Lenovo (made in China--mark of quality right there!) bought them out.

We deal with an equally pile of crap desktop tower at work. Just yesterday one of the GPUs failed (the second one!) so now we no longer have multiple monitors for the CCTV.

How I long to return to the days of when things were buy for life and built to last. My HTC Thunderbolt is my home phone line and it's a tank compared to 'modern' anything.

Upvote 0
I read you. I haven't even tried to fire up this piece of crap for maybe a couple days. I guess it's my third Stylus...and probably my last. If I could somehow magically hook this thing up to a computer, would I be able to get the data? I'm pretty sure it's set to usb debugging. Meanwhile, I hope the brand new Sandisk 512 gb sd card I put in there isn't being affected by all this turmoil. Since I'm using an "inferior" Samsung Galaxy A02s to type this, I might as well ask: what's the biggest sd IT can handle? I've tried looking it up and seen as big as 1 tb, but I'm pretty sure that's an error. I suppose it might be true of some other model but a walmart phone that cost maybe $53...for the record, it's 32 gb. Also, my friend got a Oneplus Nord N10 recently. He says he doesn't like it but he's annoyed because he had to switch carriers and doesn't know how to switch back, and he's no techie. I'm not saying I am, but compared, yeah. I noticed the N10 has the same internal capacity as the Stylus and can probably take at least 512 gb. For me, a carrier probably wouldn't matter much as I likely would use it wifi only. I have been encouraged, though, to get a "regular" phone hooked up to some network in order to be able to make emergency calls and such. My limited experience with this is that it doesn't work very well for me. I would have to deal with the added weight, whether it might get lost or broken, etc., and I think these days there might be enough wifi around that a carrier would be unnecessary. Of course, what are the chances that a person would be in wifi range, know the password, and be able to make a call fast enough to avert danger?

Upvote 0
Even the act of plugging your phone into a PC and using it as a USB hard disk is ruined. At one time USB Mass Storage existed and made it easy. Today it relies on something called MTP which I failed at trying to make work. Windows 10 kept insisting it was a camera and wouldn't gain me access to the data other than images, and Windows XP just said 'What?! You need a driver!' so I gave up and now go back to emailing the files one at a time to myself like it was 1999 again. Thanks, Google.

It's unheard of in human culture today, but when a brand name screws me over multiple times, I simply never buy from that brand again. Now, it's avoid anything emblazoned with 'Made in China' on the back. That means any future purchases involve equipment no newer than 1972. Works for me though, I don't need new things anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones