• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sudden battery drain

cjt

Feb 3, 2010
This has happened to me a couple of times, the most recent today. My Droid shows about 60% battery life (I have the Battery widget installed), I got to the grocery store and use "OurGroceries", then when I'm outside in full sunlight, I get a brief phone call (wrong number). When I come home I look at my Droid and it's showing the low battery signal and is saying I have 5% battery life left (battery widget showing similar values). I plug it into the charger and it's immediately showing 60%.

The last time this happened I was reading a book using Aldiko. Again, sudden low battery signal, I plug it in and then it's immediately charging back up to 60 - 70%.

When I look at the battery usage from the settings, it says 74% was from display. I checked and have automatic brightness set.

I'm still running 2.0.1, and yes I have Wi-Fi search on, but I always do. It's the sudden drop in battery reading that concerns me.

Anybody else have this problem?

Exact same thing just happened to me. I'm at work and have been texting the lady off and on, but I was still around 60-70% battery life left (I have the battery app, also) and then all of the sudden the red light starts flashed and my Droid tells me at at less than 5% battery life. I use my phone a lot at work, so I had my charger and immediately plugged it in. Not 30 seconds later the battery app is reading at 60%. WTH? I've never had this happen before and it kind of bothers me. Especially since I've had the phone since the beginning of December.

Upvote 0
This has happened to me 3 times as well. I plug my phone into my wall charger each night (and alway check to confirm that it shows it's charging). Most of the time, no problem. On these 3 instances, I've checked my phone in the morning, and the red light is on, and it's saying to plug my phone into the charger (which it already is). I unplug it, and plug it back in again, and starts showing that it's charging again, and that the battery life is at 5%. I reboot the phone, and when it starts back up, it will show anywhere from 30% - 60% battery life.
It seems that whenever this "glitch" happens and tells the phone phone that there's only 5% battery left, it also prevents the charging process from functioning.
I should note that the first 2 times it happened was before I rooted my phone. The third time happened this morning, and I just rooted my phone 2 days ago (and installed the latest Bugless Beast ROM). I don't think it has anything to do with a rooted phone or custom ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones