• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Supernoob looking for help ~unique situation?

Mr_blam0

Lurker
Mar 24, 2013
I've been cruising around this forum looking to get saavy with the vocabulary and such, but I find myself, as a noob, very afraid of bricking my phone. I'll just explain my situation and then get to what I'd like to know:

I recently received a Verizon phone from a friend, a Samsung SCH-i500RKV (fascinate) to be precise. He had it rooted and told me it needed to be updated manually.
I had it flashed over to Cricket and activated at the store for talk and text only.
I had some trouble deleting my friends contact information and performed a factory data reset of the phone. Since it is now active on the Cricket network it no longer has access to the verizon network for updates and I believe it is having driver problems. The phone works for making calls and sending text messages, but I cannot import my contacts file from my old phone's SD card because the "settings" button does not respond. The same goes for the home and search buttons.

When I power up the phone it comes up with an error message "Sorry! The application setup wizard (process com.sec.android.app.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

It seems to me that a simple Froyo flash/update would solve my problems and fix the phones drivers and give me full software/hardware functionality, but I am afraid that just diving in to the instructions available on these forums might erase the talk and text only Cricket flash... which costs money. This makes me wonder, also, how I might back up the Cricket (talk and text only) Flash as most flashing instructions (that I've found) are full flashes where mine is talk and text only. If I could back up my talk and text only flash then I might be more bold about messing with this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for your time!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones