• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SuperUser fails to gain root access

JakeRobb

Lurker
May 21, 2013
Hi,

I have a Nexus S 4G running stock 4.1.1, and a Mac running 10.8.3. I've tried following rooting instructions from various websites (including the instructions stickied here), and everyone everywhere glosses over the details and never addresses the various things that could go wrong.

I have the full Android SDK installed and up to date. The date stamp on the directory I downloaded from Google is 20130514 -- just a few days old. I can see my device when connected via USB by running "adb devices".

I can reboot into bootloader mode just fine. I've unlocked the device -- it shows the correct status on the bootloader screen, and the unlocked padlock icon shows up on startup and a few other places.

I can flash a recovery without issue. I've tried CWM and TWRP. The problem comes up when I try to flash SuperUser.zip (I've also tried SuperSU). In CWM, it seems to go just fine, but when I reboot back into the OS and run the SuperUser app, it fails when trying to gain root access, and root-enabled apps like Greenify fail to perform their root-dependent functions. With TWRP, it stops halfway through loading SuperUser.zip. If it's logging any error message anywhere, I haven't found it -- but I don't know where to look.

I've also tried sideloading SuperUser.zip. I don't know why this approach isn't recommended more often -- it's a zillion times easier than the mount-copy-unmount-install approach usually recommended on "how to root" sites. That said, it still doesn't work.

I'm a software engineer, so I know my way around computers in general, but I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. Someone please help!

Thanks in advance!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones