• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Survey: How do you sync your contacts to local-Outlook?

MareLuce

Oct 28, 2012
Survey Question:

For those of you who sync your contacts and calendar to local-Outlook at least once a month, how do you do it? By "local-Outlook", I mean how have you chosen to sync your contacts and calendar without uploading them to a cloud service or email account.

I have read of several different ways of doing this , and would like to know if there's a pattern of what people have chosen to do, or if there are really many options mostly equal.

Context: I've been using a iPhone since my well-used Palm Treo died eons ago. I just purchased an AT&T Galaxy Note II because of Apple's maps fiasco. I recently realized that for an upcoming trip, relying on Apple Maps will probably result in frustration, getting lost, and wasting a lot of time.

I won't have much time between when I receive it and when I need to leave to figure things out, so I'm trying to read as much in advance as possible.

Related question - if you have seen a good "Android for iPhone users" posting or blog, please reply with a link! I didn't see a sticky in this forum.

I evaluated both My Phone Explorer and Android-Sync. After several weeks of testing I settled on Android-Sync. It sync via USB cable from my Galaxy Nexus (gsm) to MS Outlook 2010. It's worked flawlessly for the last month. My Phone Explorer can sync via WiFi, USB, and Bluetooth and has many bells & whistles, but I didn't find it to be as reliable.
Pete

Upvote 0
I evaluated both My Phone Explorer and Android-Sync. After several weeks of testing I settled on Android-Sync. It sync via USB cable from my Galaxy Nexus (gsm) to MS Outlook 2010. It's worked flawlessly for the last month. My Phone Explorer can sync via WiFi, USB, and Bluetooth and has many bells & whistles, but I didn't find it to be as reliable. ...

Not tried Android Sync - I do use MPE, and have done almost since I got an Android phone (2 years ago). It's very reliable for me (XP Pro with Office 2010 on my PC) and I use wifi for the connection. Use it to sync contacts and calendar to both my wife's and my phones and also for file transfer/apps download.

As with anything, make sure you backup your Outlook data before you use it for the first time. Easy enough to do.

Dave

Upvote 0
Not tried Android Sync - I do use MPE, and have done almost since I got an Android phone (2 years ago). It's very reliable for me (XP Pro with Office 2010 on my PC) and I use wifi for the connection. Use it to sync contacts and calendar to both my wife's and my phones and also for file transfer/apps download.

As with anything, make sure you backup your Outlook data before you use it for the first time. Easy enough to do.

Dave
I only had one occasion where MPE failed, but unfortunately it was inexcusable. It merged two unrelated contacts into one! That made my decision easy. Up to that point I was on the fence especially since MPE is free and Android-Sync costs $29.95. Another factor was support. With Android-Sync all my questions were answered immediately. Very good advice about backing up Outlook esp. when getting started with these sync programs. We also sync to both mine and wife's laptop. We use Titanium Backup in conjunction with Titanium Media Sync to backup everything else of interest on the phone. They are also first rate programs although TMS does have a bug which prevents us from syncing to more than one PC. They promise to fix it.
Pete

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones