• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sweep 2 Screenshot

cant you just enable screenshot in leedroid tweaks and then use the setting in the power menu to take the screenshot???

That's the clunky way to do it. I'd much rather use a built in (hard wired) method like pwr+home or pwr+vol dwn.

The leedroid tweak takes longer (gotta hold pwr for a second) and obstructs the screen as well. Also, ever tried to take a screenshot of your notification menu using the leedroid method? Holding pwr for 1 second automatically closes the notifications. :(

Could the HBOOT have ANY IMPACT at all on something like screenshots with pwr+vol dwn or pwr+home? I ask because this doesn't seem to affect everyone, and I can't fathom how this behaves differently on different phones running the same ROM. It almost implies to me that the hardwired screenshot is not part of the ROM, but perhaps the ROM or kernel is able to interfere with it (break it). Could that be part of the HBOOT?

Upvote 0
That's the clunky way to do it. I'd much rather use a built in (hard wired) method like pwr+home or pwr+vol dwn.

The leedroid tweak takes longer (gotta hold pwr for a second) and obstructs the screen as well. Also, ever tried to take a screenshot of your notification menu using the leedroid method? Holding pwr for 1 second automatically closes the notifications. :(

Could the HBOOT have ANY IMPACT at all on something like screenshots with pwr+vol dwn or pwr+home? I ask because this doesn't seem to affect everyone, and I can't fathom how this behaves differently on different phones running the same ROM. It almost implies to me that the hardwired screenshot is not part of the ROM, but perhaps the ROM or kernel is able to interfere with it (break it). Could that be part of the HBOOT?
I find using a multiple button press a little clunky myself. ;)

What you are experiencing is the result of sweep2wake generating a simulated power button press followed by a real press of the home button resulting in the default screenshot sequence. Anthrax and most other kernels that implement sweep2wake have disabled the built-in screenshot function to avoid inadvertent screenshots when trying to power off the phone with a right-to-left sweep across the capacitive buttons. The hboot installed doesn't have affect anything after Android is booted.

My favorite way to take screenshots is the ShootMe app which allows them to be taken just by shaking the phone or covering the light sensor. It won't do anything until you activate it after each boot, which I also like since having screenshot apps lurking in the background is not necessary most of the time.

ramjet73

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
I find using a multiple button press a little clunky myself. ;)

What you are experiencing is the result of sweep2wake generating a simulated power button press followed by a real press of the home button resulting in the default screenshot sequence. Anthrax and most other kernels that implement sweep2wake have disabled the built-in screenshot function to avoid inadvertent screenshots when trying to power off the phone with a right-to-left sweep across the capacitive buttons. The hboot installed doesn't have affect anything after Android is booted.

My favorite way to take screenshots is the ShootMe app which allows them to be taken just by shaking the phone or covering the light sensor. It won't do anything until you activate it after each boot, which I also like since having screenshot apps lurking in the background is not necessary most of the time.

ramjet73

I used ShootMe back on the OG Evo. I never started it upon boot and just let it sit there waiting to snap a screenshot. I

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
Or it could be as simple as assigning different variables to functions to get the end result you want. I'm guessing it's not that simple :(
This post has the build.prop setting to enable/disable the built-in screenshot function for the Sense based ROM's, but I think all the sweep2wake implementations and "screen off" toggles simulate a power button press.

As was already mentioned, some ROM's (mostly AOSP based) use Power+VolumeDown, MIUI uses Menu+VolumeDown, and many ROM's have it built into the advanced power menu (APM) so taking screenshots can get very confusing.

I don't take them all that often so I'm fine starting ShootMe when I need it, and I've found that the screenshots are much easier to take since I don't disrupt what's on the screen while trying to press the right button combination for the current ROM. YMMV.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones