• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help swype on 2.1 on sd card

Eric-VTX

Jan 17, 2010
MA
So I have 2.1 and want swype back on my screen? I downloaded to sd card thru SDX but can't seem to activate thru the sd card and don't want to download to phone to save on storage...can someone tell me how its done? and has anyone tried swype with 2.1...i really loved it in 1.5...thanks!

So I have 2.1 and want swype back on my screen? I downloaded to sd card thru SDX but can't seem to activate thru the sd card and don't want to download to phone to save on storage...can someone tell me how its done? and has anyone tried swype with 2.1...i really loved it in 1.5...thanks!

umm install via any file manager (i use astro) and then go into settings -> keyboard and uncheck android keyboard then reboot and enjoy :)

Upvote 0
I think he means he wants to run it from the SD card. Sorry buddy, I don't think that has been accomplished on the Moment yet. If it was possible you would literally see a dozen threads on this. It has to be on the phone, about 12mb file i think.

He is right! It doesn't take a huge amount of space though. Are you already full?

Upvote 0
He is right! It doesn't take a huge amount of space though. Are you already full?
Nope, But I figure why use internal space...I downloaded of SDX to sd card so i figured i could run from it. So I added astro, v5 root and i'm not to sure how to delete stock application like jewel...Also can't seem to see any of the stock apps in manage applications for only the ones i downloaded from market...I will download swype to phone...

Also Stock sms is driving me crazy, cause i have handset and getting two messages...want to disable stock mesaging and i've checked handset as default so not sure why i'm still getting both? Thanks!

figured sms out...sorry! had notification set on stock app..i'm a noob But don't know how to root even though i installed it.

Upvote 0
If you rooted you can download somehting like Connect Bot and then open a local session and type su and press enter. If you see a # sign you are rooted. Just download Root Explorer, much easier. I have posted directions on other threads and many others have as well. Just look around the posts, there are a lot of different methods. :D You can't jus select them like other apps you downloaded from the market and uninstall.

Upvote 0
If you rooted you can download somehting like Connect Bot and then open a local session and type su and press enter. If you see a # sign you are rooted. Just download Root Explorer, much easier. I have posted directions on other threads and many others have as well. Just look around the posts, there are a lot of different methods. :D You can't jus select them like other apps you downloaded from the market and uninstall.
ok, did that and YES..rooted but still don't no how to delete app?

Help can't get swype to work on 2.1?? its downloaded but when i swype it just beeps??? No word message on screen?

Upvote 0
I have to ask why? For something that you would run often it sure would slow down your phone running it off the card.
Sure, no problem? the reason I ask if i could run of sd card was for storage space...for no other reason? I do have it working, but ther's a bug on DD10, because I can't default swype just alone and when I do unchench android keyboard it checks back...another is I can't get it not to sound eeven thougheverything that i can think off is unchecked to no sound on keyboard...but i can live with it, cause i really love swype!

Oh, And NO...! I'm not full in storage space...Thanks for the help!!;)

Upvote 0
If Swype isn't your default keyboard then you didn't follow my instructions properly.

Can you share the how to's? I heard of other people who said they had the same issue? the only thing I can say that the version I had previousky 1.16? vs, what i have now 1.25 i thought that is what might be the case?

so i guess i would have to uninstalled and do what? Oh, what version of swype i should be running
Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones