• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sync app data files between devices?

thecarlsoncrew

Sep 29, 2010
I'm trying to figure out how to sync the data files for some apps between my Maxx and my Kindle Fire. An easy example would be Angry Birds - if I complete three levels on my Maxx, then put the phone down and pick up my Fire, I want to see those same three levels already completed when I open the app on the Fire.

I think it could be done by rooting both devices (I'm currently rooted on my Maxx, but not the Fire) and setting up some kind of a direct sync on the actual data files through some sort of cloud storage like Dropbox or SugarSync. With this scenario, the data file should be sync'd in something close to real time, or at least once a manual sync is initiated. But...I'm not 100% certain if this would work at all. I'm just trying to conceptualize how it might work.

Question 1: Would the scenario above work? Has someone done it, and if so am I missing any steps in the process?
Question 2: Is there a way to set up this sort of sync-between-devices scenario without being rooted?

If anyone has done this or has suggestions, I'd love to hear. Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones