1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Synching Contacts on Android to Gmail?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NYdroid33, Sep 22, 2010.

1. NYdroid33

NYdroid33 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    SJU grad looking for a job
    New York
    I know that I can go through the menus on the phone and sync my gmail account contacts to my android phone but I was wondering if theres a way to take the contacts on my phone and sync those to my gmail account. I dont know if that sounds confusing or if I worded it weird but I want make it so if I add new contacts TO THE PHONE and I sync it with gmail, those contacts show up in my gmail account.

In the event I have to restart my phone (moment running 2.2 not rooted) and sync my contatcs, it will only add contacts that I manually add to my gmail. Since my last restart I have probably added around 20 new contacts TO THE PHONE which ARE NOT in my gmail. It drivs me crazy because if right now I sync to my gmail contacts, those 20 numbers do not show up.

Everytime I add a new contact to my phone do I also have to log into gmail and add it manually to the gmail contacts if I want that number restored in the event I do a hard reset and want my contatcs synced?

If theres a way to do this I would greatly appreciate it. It seems like the ipod setup where you can only sync stuff thats on the computer. I hopw theres a way around that. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    If it's set up to sync it should do a two-way sync. Go into accounts and sync and make sure sync is turned on. It shouldn't only be coming from PC to phone, like I said, it should go both ways. The Moment doesn't have 2.2 either, do you mean 2.1? Not that it really matters but it might help prevent future confusion.

3. NYdroid33

Jul 22, 2010
    New York
    yea I meant 2.1 it was upgraded a while ago I forgot what the upgrade was... I dont know, when I sync my googlw contacts it was only going from PC to phone. I kind of want to try it right now but last time it didnt seem to work correctly.

Can I delete my entire gmail contact list and then sync to my phone and than my gmail contatcs will look exactly like the contacts on my phone?

4. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Might as well try it. Export the ones from your Gmail first though, in case you lose them then you can just import them back.

5. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Male
    Computer Tech
    San Diego
    It should work both ways as the others mentioned. I often add new contacts into my phone and they are available in my Gmail contact list almost immediately. I don't really know how you could prevent that if you wanted to without disabling sync altogether.

6. afaik, this is a feature samsung decided to break for their android phones (also applies to galaxy, galaxy s, etc.) - like people mentioned above, it should work on any non-samsung phone without any fiddling

i've no idea why they did that, but it's just another reason to hate them

7. NYdroid33

Jul 22, 2010
    New York
    is it true that the samsung androids cant sync from both phone to gmail and vice versa?