• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Syncing only a subset of my Google Contacts in 2.1

brianjd

Jan 29, 2010
I have a long list of Google Contacts and only want to sync a subset of them to my Droid Eris. So, I created a "Phone" group in Google Contacts. Then on my Droid Eris (back when it was running 1.6) I was able to go "People" -> "Groups" -> "Menu" (or something like that) and select the "Phone" group as the only group from Google Contacts that would sync with my Droid Eris. Worked perfectly.

Now, after the 2.1 update I no longer have that option! I thought, "Maybe the option controls migrated somewhere else." I tried going "Menu" -> "Settings" -> "Accounts & Sync" -> "Google" and found nothing there as well.

Q: Am I missing something here? How can I just sync the "Phone" group from my Google Contacts with my Droid Eris which is now running 2.1?

This was mentioned a few times in the huge "report your 2.1 bugs" thread... but I'll save you the headache of sifting through it.

Apparently, 2.1 gets rid of the ability to choose what contact group you can sync with.

So I ended up having to sync all 1000+ phone and email contacts in gmail... then I simply went into the "People" application... hit Menu/View and chose the "only show phone contacts" and only the contacts with phone numbers will show up.

I think that's about as far as you can go unfortunately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones