• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System cache

My 40mb system cache is only showing 2.5mb free running miui Rom? I've used a cache cleaner, which says its cleared both internal and external caches but the figure in quick system info hasn't changed, and just lately when installing updates a lot of then fail because of low memory. Any tips anyone?

That cache is used for downloading and flashing. It's not something you can use for apps.

Unless its causing a problem, I'd leave it alone. I'm assuming Android looks after it all nicely by itself.

Upvote 0
Cache cleaners typically don't clean the system cache.
Go to Settings-Applications-Manage Applications, find Market and clear Data and cache. Reboot and check the info again.

did as you said and now its showing 6.75 mb free, is there any way to see whats using the cache, its seems 33mb is quite alot to be using the cache,

Upvote 0
Cache is mainly downloads from the market. What should happen is it will fill with .apk files downloaded and the will drop off the end as you download more so it will never be clear.

Try and download a large app larger that the free space (cordy, angry birds etc).

If it downloads fine, theres nothing to worry about - forget it.

If not, come back to me.

Upvote 0
also, dont know if its a miui thing but nearly everytime i update apps it always saying failed due to low memory.
heres what quick system info shows....
snap20110531_111028.png

any ideas?

Upvote 0
Cache is mainly downloads from the market. What should happen is it will fill with .apk files downloaded and the will drop off the end as you download more so it will never be clear.

Try and download a large app larger that the free space (cordy, angry birds etc).

If it downloads fine, theres nothing to worry about - forget it.

If not, come back to me.

just tried to download twicca which is only 2.35 mb but that failed?

EDIT: just tried again after powering off and back on and it worked? but its happening all the time.

Upvote 0
i use android mate, what am i looking for? i went into system but couldnt see what i was looking for, nothing there called cache.
Root Explorer is an android app. /cache is a top level directory - it's not under /system.

A terminal emulator will do as well (or adb shell):

ls -l /cache

will show you what files and directories are in there.

du -h /cache
du -hs /cache/*

will show you the disk usage (du) for /cache and for the directories within it (you already know it's full, but the second will show you which directories have most in them).

Upvote 0
sounds like miui us bgged and its not auto clearing cache but will delete on reboot.

also i notice in that screenshot that you have loads of a2sd space and none of it is used but yet have used loads of internal space.

did you use a2sd cachesd ?
also
make sure you do not move apps to sdcard and only install them to internal otherwise a2sd is not working properly

Upvote 0
It goes down every time you download from the market. It should automatically clear but maybe its an issue with the script in redux? Not sure on that one. redux has a script "06mountdl" that looks to see how big your cache partition is. If the app youre downloading is bigger than the cahce partition, it downloads it to /data instead of /cache

If you're S-off you could change the partition sizes so that its so small it always goes to /data/local/download

I have a script that runs at boot (and a shortcut to it on my desktop via script manager)

Code:
rm /data/local/download/*

I suppose you could also:

Code:
rm /data/download/*
and call it something like "98cacheclear" and put it in init.d

If you create it using an app called "script manager" you can also set it onto your desktop as a shortcut or to run on network state change

Upvote 0
I assume you are using MIUI, although your sig says Redux.
Perhaps, it is best to ask this question among that ROM users (XDA?) to check if it is not a ROM bug.

Ah hadn't noticed that. Good point. Update your Sig!!!

Forget what I said about 06mountdl then.

The scripts should still work though.

Reactions: GrenW
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones