• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 ($300) vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus ($350)

Accidentally posted before I was done, go ahead and finish reading my last post.

Edit: I will definitely be flashing Jelly Bean for sure eventually... I'm going to give it a few days on stock just to get a feel of the phone before I start playing with flashing ROMs and what not.

Oh, totally. Android as an OS is constantly improving in leaps and bounds. ICS was more so known for updating the UI and ironing out the user experience. But an update that wasn't spoken of nearly as much was the GPU acceleration. It certainly sped things up. I would dare say "Project Butter" via Jelly Bean will only improve things even more!

The fact that stuff just looks so much better through ICS is a nice treat, wouldn't know how that works.

BTW, what exactly is Kies?

Upvote 0
Oh, totally. Android as an OS is constantly improving in leaps and bounds. ICS was more so known for updating the UI and ironing out the user experience. But an update that wasn't spoken of nearly as much was the GPU acceleration. It certainly sped things up. I would dare say "Project Butter" via Jelly Bean will only improve things even more!

The fact that stuff just looks so much better through ICS is a nice treat, wouldn't know how that works.

BTW, what exactly is Kies?

Kies is a Samsung program... It shows all your folders and what not on the computer when you connect the phone to the computer. But when you connect it to it, it will also tell you if your phone has a newer firmware and will install it if you want it to.

I can't wait to give Jelly Bean a try.

Reactions: zeth006
Upvote 0
Kies is a Samsung program... It shows all your folders and what not on the computer when you connect the phone to the computer. But when you connect it to it, it will also tell you if your phone has a newer firmware and will install it if you want it to.

I can't wait to give Jelly Bean a try.

Yeah, I don't think the S2 got the official Jelly Bean update from Samsung. You'll want to check out XDA forums for a flashable Jelly Bean rom.

Upvote 0
Ok, so day two... I only have a couple of complaints so far... I've been having a bit of wifi trouble, it keeps getting stuck at obtaining ip address, this may be something wrong on my end, but I rarely had trouble connecting to my wifi on my last phone. My headphones button isn't working, I may have a setting wrong, but I've checked numerous times and I definitely have "respond to headset button" checked in my poweramp settings, so I don't understand why it's not working. Last negative thing I have so far is that the phone is REALLY smooth, which is nice to look at and even to hold while sitting down or something, but I've come close to dropping it a couple times, it can easily slide right out of your hand without a problem.

Now for some positives... I've used the phone pretty heavy today, I'm at 15% after 10 hours of being unplugged, which isn't great by any means, but all I'm looking for is enough battery to last me until I go to bed, the phone's going to be plugged in every night anyways. As I said though, I used the phone pretty heavy today, I played Shadowgun for a little bit, watched a little bit of Netflix, listened to some music, installed a lot of apps from the Play store, and simply just been playing with it most of the day. So on less heavy usage, I should easily be able to get a full day out of the battery. I'm getting pretty good data speeds, my last phone was lucky to get 3-4mbps, now I easily get upwards of 8-10mbps and I've only checked it in 2 different locations. Games run smooth as can be, had absolutely no problem playing Shadowgun on the phone.

That's it so far. can't think of anything else off the top of my head at the moment. If you have anything else you'd like me to test, or any questions about the device, let me know, I'm playing with the phone a lot, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to test anything or answer any questions.

Edit: Tomorrow I'll probably root the phone and throw CWM on there, MAYBE give CM9 or one of the CM10's out there a go.

Reactions: zeth006
Upvote 0
Hey, i'm in a bit of a choice struggle too.

Getting my first android phone. Just getting a $20/month txting plan, but i like the apps and better camera and wifi. (i have an old ipod touch 2ndgen).

Samsung Galaxy SII international (i9100M) on VirginMobile canada (pay$170 of the $400), or Samsung Galaxy SII X (Hercules equivalent?) on Koodo canada (Pay $150 of the $300). the S3 is a little pricey (i'd have to drop $400 of the $600price-tag for it on VirginMobile).

If the SII X is newer, why is it cheaper than the original international version?

Also, is the SII is more rom friendly than the SII X? reading in the SII X forum, lots of issues with other things as well.

Any advice would be awesome,

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey, i'm in a bit of a choice struggle too.

Getting my first android phone. Just getting a $20/month txting plan, but i like the apps and better camera and wifi. (i have an old ipod touch 2ndgen).

Samsung Galaxy SII international (i9100M) on VirginMobile canada (pay$170 of the $400), or Samsung Galaxy SII X (Hercules equivalent?) on Koodo canada (Pay $150 of the $300). the S3 is a little pricey (i'd have to drop $400 of the $600price-tag for it on VirginMobile).

If the SII X is newer, why is it cheaper than the original international version?

Also, is the SII is more rom friendly than the SII X? reading in the SII X forum, lots of issues with other things as well.

Any advice would be awesome,

Thanks

The big differences between the two is that the international version has a better processor, little faster and smoother, and the Hercules has about a half inch bigger screen.

My guess is that the Hercules is cheaper because of the processor. The international version would have a bit more developer support because it's an international version, it's being sold in a lot more areas than the Hercules. All newer phones have issues, there's way too much going on with these phones for them not to have issues.

Upvote 0
The big differences between the two is that the international version has a better processor, little faster and smoother, and the Hercules has about a half inch bigger screen.

My guess is that the Hercules is cheaper because of the processor. The international version would have a bit more developer support because it's an international version, it's being sold in a lot more areas than the Hercules. All newer phones have issues, there's way too much going on with these phones for them not to have issues.

So what you're saying is that even though the SIIX has 1.5ghz dual core, and the SII has 1.2ghz dual core, the SII is still better than the newer SIIX? (ghz not being every? ie 1.3ghz i7 laptop, vs a 4ghz pentium 4, the architecture of the i7 blows away the p4?)

Also, are they still manufacturing the international version SII, ie i wont be buying a phone that was made back in sept2011, and the battery being shot right out of the box?

Leaning towards the SII international, even though it is ~4month older than the SIIX.

My friend bought a galaxy ace back in april2012, and that phone only has a 800mhz single core, so if his phone runs ICS just fine, then the SII international shouldn't have any problems with future software for ~2yrs?

Also, the SIIinternational only 0.3ghz slower than the s33

Upvote 0
So what you're saying is that even though the SIIX has 1.5ghz dual core, and the SII has 1.2ghz dual core, the SII is still better than the newer SIIX? (ghz not being every? ie 1.3ghz i7 laptop, vs a 4ghz pentium 4, the architecture of the i7 blows away the p4?)

Also, are they still manufacturing the international version SII, ie i wont be buying a phone that was made back in sept2011, and the battery being shot right out of the box?

Leaning towards the SII international, even though it is ~4month older than the SIIX.

My friend bought a galaxy ace back in april2012, and that phone only has a 800mhz single core, so if his phone runs ICS just fine, then the SII international shouldn't have any problems with future software for ~2yrs?

Also, the SIIinternational only 0.3ghz slower than the s33

Yes, even though the SIIX is clocked faster, the SII has a better, faster processor, not a gigantic difference, but there is a difference.

I don't have an answer for you about the International version still being manufactured... I would guess so, it's still a popular phone even though it's technically already outdated, but I don't know for sure.

You are probably more likely to get the official firmware updates on the international version, but I don't know for sure. Either way, you could always flash unofficial updates after people develop the ROMs for them.

If I had a choice between the two, I personally would have still stuck with the SIIX, only because I like the bigger screen. A half inch doesn't seem like much, but on a phone, it's definitely noticeable.Although the processor on the international is supposed to be really nice.

Upvote 0

Correct. I'm just a layman, but what I've learned over the years is clock speed is no longer the sole, dominant factor in performance. There are many, many technologies fixed into a processor that are also determinative of its performance.

It's best to check multiple performance benchmarks to get a better idea of how the processor will perform.

Upvote 0
If I had a choice between the two, I personally would have still stuck with the SIIX, only because I like the bigger screen. A half inch doesn't seem like much, but on a phone, it's definitely noticeable.Although the processor on the international is supposed to be really nice.

Looking at spec sheets, I see that both phones have the same resolution (480x800). The SIIX is 0.2" longer(diagonally), so it must have a smaller ppi.

SII compared to SII X

Upvote 0
Looking at spec sheets, I see that both phones have the same resolution (480x800). The SIIX is 0.2" longer(diagonally), so it must have a smaller ppi.

SII compared to SII X

You are correct, for some reason I remembered the international version being a tad smaller than that... So yeah, you should probably go with the international version as long as you get as good service with whoever you have to go with for that phone.

Reactions: zener773
Upvote 0
You are correct, for some reason I remembered the international version being a tad smaller than that... So yeah, you should probably go with the international version as long as you get as good service with whoever you have to go with for that phone.

The Galaxy SII international version is on VirginMobile (They run off Bell's towers (who teamed up with Telus and share towers)). The Galaxy SIIX is from Koodo (which is Telus's budget carrier). Only wanting to pay for a cheapo talk/txt plan, and can think about data later on, maybe get some data in a retention deal.

Looking at VirginMobile's coverage map... well, the whole lower-mainland (Vancouver, BC, Canada) is covered.

Yes, even though the SIIX is clocked faster, the SII has a better, faster processor, not a gigantic difference, but there is a difference.

I don't have an answer for you about the International version still being manufactured... I would guess so, it's still a popular phone even though it's technically already outdated, but I don't know for sure....

I think the S2 international version is still more than capable enough. It has better hardware than some of their phones released after it did(Ace, Ace 2, etc), so if they're able to run the newer androids, the S2 with a Dual core processor (rather than the Ace's single 800mhz, and Ace2's 800mhz dual core), the ram is good (1gb, just like the International S3).

I know someone with a Galaxy S 1 with ICS (most likely a custom rom of some sort), and he says it still runs smooth.

Thinking the S2i should still be future proof for 2yrs? that would be good as then splurge on the Galaxy S 5. (off topic: they better get new battery tech by then).

EDIT: Just did some more searching about VirginMobile, turns out they have the worst customer service possible where they deflect all your calls since they now have Bell's crap CS because they were bought out by Bell. Maybe i'll just buy the phone, and stay with Fido, and get a good retention deal with them since my contract is ending in a week. Fido's CS is really good.

Could you give the best tips on how to go about moving the (most likely locked to VirginMobile) phone to Fido? i think the law is that carriers are required to allow switching of carriers, but they dont tell you the code?

This sucks!

EDIT2: Getting Galaxy S3 on telus, rest of my family is with them, so i'll get a good plan.

Reactions: zener773
Upvote 0
I just got Samsung Galaxy S III Marble White and i am very happy to have it.It Captures amazing pictures with zero shutter lag using the 8MP camera and Best Photo option, takes 3.3 shots per second and allows me to select the best of eight images taken when Best Photo is turned on.I would say a consumer would only need to spend a few hours with the GS3 to know its a superior product through and through.If any one still using Samsung Galaxy S II then i would suggest to upgrade it with SGS3 .The SGS2 is selling for $232.25 according to this price report
Used Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T smartphone price .

Upvote 0
So I'm in the same situation. I can't decide between the GS2 or the GNex. This would be an easy choice if the N4 $299 version was available, but its not and it probably won't be for another 9 weeks. So I'm stuck deciding between these 2 phones. I just can't justify paying $300 for a phone that is more than likely being abandoned by its maker (no jelly bean). I love the GS2 hspa +42 speeds and camera.. very tempting. I fix and refurb phones for a living btw. I'll be in the lookout on Ebay for any good deals on broken phones to repair. Any advice? How is the gaming performance on the T989 compared to the GNEX?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones