• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tab 3 8.0 (SM-T310): Digitizer replaced, now touchscreen doesn't work...

baldy

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Good morning! Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible with my description!

Okay, so I just replaced the (cracked) digitizer on my Tab 3 8.0 (SM-T310), with a new one (actual Samsung part, not generic), but now touch screen doesn't work... The old digitizer/touchscreen, despite being cracked, still worked okay before I removed it. I had to eventually buy a new digitizer, because the cracks were starting to get bigger. I managed to replace it without breaking anything else, but now the touchscreen won't work. I'm not yet sure if it's D.O.A., but before I call the vendor for a replacement, I just wanted to see if there was anything else I could try.

Background and troubleshooting already performed:

- I checked other posts on here with similar issues, but no solutions unfortunately. :(

- All physical buttons (Power button and the Home button) work okay, but the swipe screen, menu button, and the back button don't work (tablet boots up fine, but I can't unlock it to access my homescreen).

- I checked and reseated the cables (and the battery), no go. Especially made sure that the digitizer cable was correctly and firmly attached.

- Made sure the clear plastic protector on the new digitizer had been removed and the glass was cleaned.

- LCD was not damaged during removal of faulty digitizer (and during removal of all that glue!). Also made sure the LCD itself was super clean.

- New digitizer is an actual Samsung part, not a generic one. No physical damage on it that I can see.

- I can't check to see if the old digitizer still works, because when removing it from an lcd that has glue all over it, the whole [digitizer] glass cracks and literally turns into powder! Good thing I was wearing goggles! :)

That's pretty much all the troubleshooting I've done... does anyone have any other suggestions?

In addition:

While googling this, I saw a forum for another type of [Android] tablet (forgot which one... not a Tab): After digitizer was replaced, touch screen would not work, but after reflashing the firmware, or updating the touchscreen firmware (can that be done?), it did. Is that something I would need to do also? If so, how do I do it with PC only if I can't access any settings on the tablet? :thinking: I don't mind at all if this results in a complete factory reset... as long as the touchscreen works again!

(Side note: I've replaced cracked digitizers on a Galaxy S4, and Note 10.1, I've never had to update any firmware.)

Lastly, does the whole area of the digitizer (glass and sides) have to be in full contact with the LCD itself (i.e. no air bubbles between lcd and digitizer)?

Thank you very much in advance! And thanks also for bearing with the long post!

I just want to point out to anybody reading:
- If you are not technically inclined or don't have any experience opening up tablets, replacing components, don't try the procedures below;
- Also for people who do have experience, it's still a royal pain in the...;
- Be mindful of who's within earshot, because the cuss words are gonna fly;

hey JaddWhat,

First of all (and don't quote me on this!), make sure you get a digitizer made for your model. For example, the model I have is an SM-T310 - if you get a digitizer made for others (like the SM-T311), although they look exactly the same, the firmware is going to be different.

Regarding the steps to replace the actual digitizer, there weren't really any step by step vids/procedures out there to remove the digitzer for the actual Tab 3 8.0 so I had to improvise with other videos I managed to find back then:

Remove back cover and battery for Tab 3 8.0 first:
How to Replace Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Battery - YouTube
Remove also digitizer cable.
Be super-careful that you don't cut anything when opening the cover.

To remove the actual digitizer, I couldn't find any videos/procedures specific to the Tab3 8.0. But I managed to find this video for removing a Galaxy Note 8.0 digitizer:
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 screen repair glass only www.texfixdfw.com - YouTube <-- FAST FORWARD to the part where they "cut" through the glue which is the same way you would do it for a Tab 3 8.0 (I used a blow dryer and an old plastic ID card just like in the video).
Wear GOGGLES because the small shards from the digitizer tend to fly when taking the digitizer off;
After peeling most of the glue from the lcd, DO NOT use anything rough to clean the excess glue from the lcd (like paper towels and windex), use a microfiber cloth and a cleaning liquid especially made for cleaning LCD's;
Test the new digitizer BEFORE putting everything back together again;

To install the new digitizer, I did use the super-thin double-sided tape for LCD's on just the sides, but the actual glue that would be so much better because of less chance of there being any air pockets. <-- If you use the tape, make sure you push out any air pockets before the tape's adhesive "dries". I don't know if I got lucky, but seems that I managed to push them out okay. Then I left the tablet sandwiched between 2 mattresses overnight.

When snapping the back cover back in place make sure you don't have any cables sticking out.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones