• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Looking at getting either the Motorola Xoom or the Acer Iconia A500. My worry's are i've been reading around online and both seem to have an issue with the broadband dongles working without having to root your tablet 1st. So is that really the case!! and will a usb wifi dongle / modem like the Huawei E585 be any better or will it have same problems working out off the box!. I don't have access to a fixed broadband line and only use the 3G Dongles which i have 3. Looking to buy a new MiFi 3G dongle/modem from Three network to use with my Tablet when i get it.

Has anyone got the Huawei E585 or a 3 dongle working good with the Xoom or Iconia Android version??
Cheers for any info

Hi there, I found this from googling android + E585. I recently bought one of these wifi hotspots this week (I'm from Australia) due to a 50% off sale. It's with Vodafone Australia. Seems to be working fine with my EEEPC with Windows boot, haven't tried my Linux boot on it just yet.

I've been having 'weird' problems with my Android devices, A Motorola XOOM and a Samsung Galaxy S. I couldn't get net with the XOOM after using the E585 with my EEEPC for a 'test run' the day before. I tried the hotspot with my SGS and had no net working for several minutes (whilst it was connected fine via wifi for ages) and then it started to work.

I didn't give the hospot much time when trying with the XOOM so I'll probably retry tonight or tomorrow. Even if you have or have not bought a device (tablet and/or hotspot), I'll give my results in here in case others get here from google search or just intra site navigation/search. I really really hope the XOOM works as it's the main device I use when out for internet, just have had a busy week this week so haven't had more than 'a handful' of time to test the E585 with my mobile net devices that I (and my wife) use.

Upvote 0
Just to put some new life in this old thread. I have a Huawei Pocket wifi E585 that connects to the internet fine. I can connect up to 5 devices to this "Hotspot". All computers, laptops that I have tried connect fine to this PocketWifi.
But as soon as I want to connect any android, it keeps looking for I.P. addresses and then reverts back to my Home Router. The same happens with my wife's HTC android mobile phone, I can't get it connected to the Pocketwifi.
The mobile phone and my Android tablet can easily be connected to my home router, that's no problem.
This PockteWifi is WEP protected, the androids asks for a WEP key and I get a perfect signal strenght on the tablet/phone.
But, it just doesn't want to connect.
What am I doing wrong, what am I missing here?

Thanks guys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones