• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tablet recommendations

I have a Nexus 7 2012 wifi that is showing it's age. I'm running 4.4 and mostly use it for Kindle reading and streaming movies. Would like to play more games but it can't keep up. I've been researching a new tablet. I'd like to stay at $300 or less. I would like 1920x1080 or better video, sd card expansion, android 5.0 compatibility and decent front facing speakers (I watch a lot of video on the Nexus 7 and I have to use headphones or external speakers, would like something with decent enough built in sound that I don't have to do that). I would also like as pure of an Android as possible and ability to install any apps I want. My research has led me to the Nvidia Shield and Dell Venue. Is there anything else I should be considering?

I have a Nexus 7 2012 wifi that is showing it's age. I'm running 4.4 and mostly use it for Kindle reading and streaming movies. Would like to play more games but it can't keep up. I've been researching a new tablet. I'd like to stay at $300 or less. I would like 1920x1080 or better video, sd card expansion, android 5.0 compatibility and decent front facing speakers (I watch a lot of video on the Nexus 7 and I have to use headphones or external speakers, would like something with decent enough built in sound that I don't have to do that). I would also like as pure of an Android as possible and ability to install any apps I want. My research has led me to the Nvidia Shield and Dell Venue. Is there anything else I should be considering?
I've heard lots of good things about the Shield ... What's the going rate on the N9 these days? My sister has one she bought on launch and she came from a N7 and couldnt be happier.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones