• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tamasek's unofficial CM11 v50

yeah tapa runs on my phone with ART. Ill try it on the tab when the wife gets off it lol

Tapatalk is running just fine on my setup. Using Pro.

EDIT: And just for further data, I'm using PA Gapps modular micro as I do on my Nexus 5 as well.

I don't use ART on my phone because you aren't going to notice any speed improvements on the N5. ;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
So far seems really nice, but haven' spent much time with it. Settings are rearranged some, but for the life of me I can't remember enough of all the settings I didn't get around to exploring before to know if there are a lot of new ones here or they are just arranged differently. lol. ;)

One ting is, having switched ART, rebooting after flashing is painfully slow because, of course, it does the whole reloading apps each time. :rolleyes: I'm used to my N5 where I can do an entire nandroid, wipe, flash and reboot in a few minutes.

Upvote 0
I cant find Slim Pie :thinking:
Ugh v50 wouldn't boot so had to clean flash it 😠

Luckily, dirty flash worked fine for me, but dirty flash can be a crap shoot. At leat with Titanium backup it doesn't take long to rebuild. I've never used PIE controls, so I don't know the answer to that.

By the way, it is always safest with a dirty flash to reflash Gapps.

Upvote 0
Whoa just flashed Ground Zero v5 and on ART with Franco it's perfect! Really fast :beer:
Boot animation is excellent but don't flash this if you're scared of evil clowns lol :D
I'll maybe write a review later but it has all the Tamasek's features and more. Think it's based on SlimKat repos. It has a choice of Slim Recents or Sense Recents. The sense one is really nice :beer: recommended

Upvote 0
Yeah this is my new favourite grouper rom. Sorry Temasek 😸 :beer:
I did have to go back to Temasek v50. Got this really odd bug of the home button wouldn't work. I might try a clean install.

Unfortunately I have Tilapia and there are just fewer options out there. I'm not entirely sure why just having a 3G radio should make a big difference between Grouper and Tilapia, but clearly devs seem to think so.

Right now I'm using MultiROM to evaluate XenonHD 4.4.2 and re-evaluate Slimkat (which I only looked at quickly once before). I like the options I see on Xenon and may try that for a while.

Upvote 0
Take it you couldnt find slim pie on v57 mate? :beer:
Im loving GZ. dont think they build for tilapia though :(
Aparently slim is bad on the n7

Nope. As I say, I've never gotten into PIE controls myself. I tried them once on PA and they drove me crazy. I probably didn't give myself long enough to get used to them. I confess I tend to be that way. Not necessarily resistant to change, but if something isn't really intuitive to me, I tend to drop it quickly. :eek:;)

Upvote 0
So I'm back on Temasek v.57 for now. When I reflashed it the problems I was having went away.

I tried XenonHD 4.4.2 and I really like it. It has a wonderful array of setings. At the moment screen rotation is broken and it does portrait only, which is probably a showstopper fpr me, but I'm keeping my eye on updates. It also seems to have romoved PIE, just FYI. However, considering how many really good ROMs are available for Tilapia, as soon as this gets rotation back, I think it will become my ROM.

[ROM] XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 4 (24.03.14) *Truly Stable, Fast & Buttery Smooth* - xda-developers

I also stumbled on a new (like last week) Tilapia ROM that seems promising. It is still too beta for me, but worth watching. I *think* it even has PIE.

[ROM][4.4.2][Official][OSE Rom][tilapia] - xda-developers

I wish the Tilapia ROMs weren't all (or so it seems sometimes) based on CM. I would love a good Omni-based 4.4.2 ROM like Dirty Unicorns.

Upvote 0
Slimkat just released a new version (Build 4). I know what I said about Build 3, but I may have not given it enough time or else maybe I hadn't yet appreciiated how few good non-CM ROMs are out there for Tilapia. However, I just tried build 4 with MultiROM and am already ready to make it my permanent ROM. Very stable, has a nice stock feel and a lot of nice features (including PIE for Funky ;) ).

I'll be getting it all set up this week-end and will report back on what I find, but this is a great ROM so far. :D

[ROM] [4.4.2] SlimKat (tilapia) [STABLE] - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones