• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus Milestone unlocking and updates

aciampoli

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Hi Everyone, this may sound like a stupid question it's a little unclear to me.
I'm planing to buy a Telus Milestone, unlocking it and using it on Fido (another canadian provider)

My question is this, will I still get OS updates even if my phone is not one the Telus network?
Who provides the over-the-air-updates, Telus, Moto, Google?
Is it "like" a Windows Update server where you phone checks a generic server on the internet for updates?
Or will I have to apply manual updates?

Thank you for your time.

Adriano

hey guys i got my unlock code from unlocking.com
when i boot up my milestone with my Fido chip i get SIM network unlock PIN
I tried the first 2 codes but no luck I could not try the 3rd code for it had an E in it and in this box i can only put numbers. also the instructions from unlocking.com are as follows:

1. Reboot your phone with an unaccepted SIM card in.
*If the display reads

Upvote 0
It sounds like they are giving you instructions for a different type of Motorola phone. There shouldn't be any letters in the unlock code. I've unlocked two Milestones, and on both I just put in my Rogers SIM and it popped up a box saying basically "enter unlock code", I typed it in (all numbers) and hit ok on the screen. That's it.

I got the codes from ebay, seller's name was "mobilexpresscanada". Under an hour to get the codes both times.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones