• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Yes but you are using the original droid on gingerbread 2.3.5. Motorola + Verizon don't expect this. Thus you can tether.

My phone has 2nd-Init to get through the bootloader being locked. Thus I can tether.

Original droid - unlocked bootloader. Thus you can tether.

I'm 90% sure you can't root stock rooted. You have to be running a custom rom that supports tethering. (At least for Droid X, and I think it'll be like that for the bionic.) I guess we'll see what happens when you get the bionic!

Thanks for the info, I'm new to the Moto Droid phones. FYI, you might want to edit: "root stock rooted". My question is why would you not run a custom ROM on the Bionic? Bugs?

Upvote 0
Original droid - unlocked bootloader. Thus you can tether.

All an unlocked bootloader allows me is the ability to run a custom kernel. The Bionic will be able to run custom ROMs whether it has an unlocked bootloader, or not.

I'm 90% sure you can't tether* stock rooted. You have to be running a custom rom that supports tethering.

This MIGHT be true. But so what if it is? I don't plan on running a stock Bionic anyway. And I don't understand why anyone would. :thinking:

If you're not going to root, for Pete's sake, buy an iPhone!!! :D

And you will want to run a custom ROM on the bionic but they take a while to be created and come out, not only that but yes bugs.

And by "a while" ... that probably means a few weeks, TOPS. Our custom ROM community rocks! :cool: And bugs?!?! HuH?!?! I've run HUNDREDS (yes, hundreds!) of ROMs on my OG DROID ... most had less bugs than the stock ROMs.

Upvote 0
If you're not going to root, for Pete's sake, buy an iPhone!!! :D

And by "a while" ... that probably means a few weeks, TOPS. Our custom ROM community rocks! :cool: And bugs?!?! HuH?!?! I've run HUNDREDS (yes, hundreds!) of ROMs on my OG DROID ... most had less bugs than the stock ROMs.

I have to disagree with your comment. IMO, stock Android>iOS. If I had to choose between stock iPhone4 and stock Samsung Captivate, I would most definitely choose the Captivate. Hell, I might argue stock Android is better than jail-broken iOS.

Have you owned any Samsung devices? If so, how do the Moto custom ROMs compare to the Samsung ones? :thinking:

Upvote 0
"All an unlocked bootloader allows me is the ability to run a custom kernel. The Bionic will be able to run custom ROMs whether it has an unlocked bootloader, or not."

Yes I know that, but with a locked bootloader, you'll soon learn how limited custom ROMs are. Hopefully the community can get past that locked bootloader.

"This MIGHT be true. But so what if it is? I don't plan on running a stock Bionic anyway. And I don't understand why anyone would. :thinking:"

Well it will take a bit for ROMs to come out. And Motoblur 2.3.4-2.3.5 is actually a good rom by default. Root it and it is a really nice skin, and mostly free of bugs on the D3. So I assume the bionic will be better and even more bug-free. Custom ROMs have annoying bugs on the droid x.

"And by "a while" ... that probably means a few weeks, TOPS. Our custom ROM community rocks! :cool: And bugs?!?! HuH?!?! I've run HUNDREDS (yes, hundreds!) of ROMs on my OG DROID ... most had less bugs than the stock ROMs."

The OG Droid is very buggy stock, but newer phones typically aren't NEARLY as buggy.

Upvote 0
Paying the $20 (or $30 for unlimited) also allows you to tether to your hearts content with the added bonus of not worrying that Verizon will discover you're tethering and change your account to a tiered data plan.

Is that so??? I'm grandfathered unlimited data, so I can tether at no extra cost? Great if true!

Hope it works with my wife's WiFi (only) Xoom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones