1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Tetra X-Way Car Mounts, how to stick disc to phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PetiePal, Dec 20, 2011.

1. PetiePal

PetiePal Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Hey everyone! I recently purchased a Tetrax X-Way mount for my car. It basically works by affixing to either your dashboard or the ventilation grills. (Mine is the grill variety) Then you affix a small metal disc to the back of your phone or phone's case and the neodymium magnets do the rest!

Tetrax - XWAY, EGO, GEO, FIX, FIXWAY, XCASE - XWAY line

It came yesterday but I couldn't really get the disc to stick well to the back of the Nexus. (Also if you pull directly off it takes the battery door off lol you're supposed to slide it to the side) I'm wondering if anyone owns this product and if the discs affix better to a gel-backing case. I may get one if that's the case.

Advertisement

2. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    IT god
    B'more

I have one I used with my Driod Inc. Worked great. I used a VZW gel case and just stuck it to that.

I'll probably do the same with the GN, the only thing that concerns me is the spot where you would stick the disk is about where the NFC sensor is. It's just a metal disk(not magnetic) but I'm a little concerned it'll interfere with NFC.

3. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Epoxy. Seriously. Buy another back if you want the disc gone.

4. PetiePal

PetiePal Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    That's what I was thinking. It didn't stick very well and magnetism shouldn't affect the NFC as that's radio wave like Wifi isn't it?

I ordered a gel case today and I'll test it out. I emailed TetraX so they can send me more to test out with.

5. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    orange county/san diego
    on my old phone, i got a cheap ebay case and stuck the disc to that. i'd only put the case on if i was doing a long drive and needed nav

6. dodgethis1

dodgethis1 Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    ND
    i use a similar type mount. I use 3m double sided foam automotive tape. I have stuck the metal disc to both the phone back and a vzw silicone case, comes off without any residue and mounts solid!

7. PetiePal

PetiePal Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    If the discs don't stick to this case I'm going to epoxy that sucker for sure lol.

Another bonus is that the battery DOOR won't come off if you pull too hard LOL

8. tdub88

tdub88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 26, 2010
    Inland Northwest
    I used it and it stuck to the back of my Dinc Great, and also to an Incipio feather case. The SGN is probably to smooth for it to stick well. I can't believe how slippery the back of this phone is. I used one of these w/ the Tetrax because I didn't want the hot air from the vent blasting my phone. Amazon.com: SoundGate M2 German engineered to safely secure your iPod, iPhone, Nano, Touch, Classic, Garmin, Cell Phone, Blackberry, Zune, MP3, or other portable device to your dash, or console: Car Electronics

The part w/ 1/2 circle comes off and the tetrax clamps on to the screw that was holding it. Gives you a few better mounting options too.

P.s. I also used a spring clamp to hold the disc to the cover and left it clamped for a couple hours.

9. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    I've used a Tetrax for over a year now on a few different Android devices. I'm curious if the magnet with affect NFC at all? I have always used the Tetrax on a case and will do the same with the Nexus, just want to make sure it won't cause any problems before I stick it on my new Diztronic case

Tags: