1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Text-only Browsing to Minimize Data Use

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tomorrowstars, May 15, 2011.

1. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Lurker
    None

May 15, 2011
    I've finally made the leap to add a small data plan for my HTC Magic. I've only got 250MB/month to work with so I want to minimize what I have to load from websites.
    Do any browsers support text-only browsing? I'm sure websites won't look that great or be formatted properly but I think it might be a worthwhile trade-off.

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Have you tried using the Opera Mini browser? It's unique in that rather than just connecting to a website, Opera's servers download the webpage and compress/prune the data before sending it to you. The net result is less data actually being downloaded by the phone (although it does lead to some compatibility issues with some more complex webpages). I know it also has an option for the quality of images, although I don't know if you can turn them off completely.

Also, it's worth adding that I'm on a 250MB plan and personally I find that's more than enough. It all varies by what/how often you'll be using your mobile internet for, but personally I think going text-only would be unnecessary :)

tomorrowstars and BklynEnigma like this.