• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text-only Browsing to Minimize Data Use

I've finally made the leap to add a small data plan for my HTC Magic. I've only got 250MB/month to work with so I want to minimize what I have to load from websites.
Do any browsers support text-only browsing? I'm sure websites won't look that great or be formatted properly but I think it might be a worthwhile trade-off.

Have you tried using the Opera Mini browser? It's unique in that rather than just connecting to a website, Opera's servers download the webpage and compress/prune the data before sending it to you. The net result is less data actually being downloaded by the phone (although it does lead to some compatibility issues with some more complex webpages). I know it also has an option for the quality of images, although I don't know if you can turn them off completely.

Also, it's worth adding that I'm on a 250MB plan and personally I find that's more than enough. It all varies by what/how often you'll be using your mobile internet for, but personally I think going text-only would be unnecessary :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones