• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help texting spel checker too insistent

ras_oscar

Jul 4, 2016
HTC desire 626 running Android 5.1. Occasionally when texting I purposely choose to misspell words. Occasionally I also use a work that is not in the dictionary. 2 questions:

1. How can I prevent spell checker from automatically changing the spelling of a word. As I'm typing I can see the suggestions. If I choose to complete the word with a space it shouldn't then change it to what IT thinks I want to say.

2. When I retype the same word not in the dictionary more than once, It then pops up an option to add to the dictionary. AND I CAN"T DECLINE. The only way out of the box is to power cycle the phone.

I have a college degree. The phone has chips and software. It isn't smarter than me. Is there a way to:

1. modify the behavior of spell checker and predictive typing

OR

2. disable it entitrely

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones