• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help texts, calls, wi-fi abroad w/Droid 3-can you check what I've done to avoid a "surprise" bill?

vfleslie

Lurker
Feb 26, 2012
We are traveling abroad and I wish to use my Droid 3 for calls, limited texting and wi-fi only. I have called Verizon and signed up for the international calling package, gave them my SIM ID number and verified how to determine my global roaming is turned off (it is).

The day before we leave I plan to:

1. dial *228 to update where my phone will work
2. Turn off Background data
3. Turn off Data enabled
4. Turn off FB text notifications
5. Turn off all my account syncs (google, friendcaster, set Facebook to never refresh, etc)

I read picture text messages will incur data charges but I won't send any and receive very few (will advise usual culprits not to send them to me). Does turning off the data settings I've mentioned above take care of this?

I've read third-party apps can sometimes turn data back on. I have a lot of apps and don't want to go through them all to see if they can turn data back on. Do you really think I need to worry about this or should I sign up for the very basic global data package just to be on the safe side?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me, Leslie

I've been under the impression that if you go Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Data delivery > and un-tick Data enabled, you will deactivate all mobile data (3G). I have a friend with a droid of some variety on AT&T and he does not have a data plan, but uses WiFi and has data deactivated 3G, as to avoid insane charges, this way. Also, IMO you should still be able to receive MMS, as we all did this back in the day prior to us having data plans.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones