• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

THE Android GPS thread - all GPS available for Android HERE!

sorry if this has already been asked, but...
I got my milestone online from selectgsm and it only came with a 60 day trial of MOTONAV, and the only maps it has are the ones for around singapore. Here i am in Canada with a phone i bought partially for the "dedicated free GPS" with maps for signapore.
What is a good alternative GPS that uses strictly the GPS and doesn't use any Data Plan MBs, if it exists?
TIA

Upvote 0
This is a strange question, when I first tried Google Maps on my Captivate it wanted to install some Text to Speech app which spoke the driving directions.

Since then I had to re-flash my Captivate back to factory settings and for the life of me I cannot find this Google Maps Navigation text to speech option.

Does anyone know where this might be? I did see a Text To Speech menu in the settings which I installed but it's not speaking the driving directions.

Upvote 0
Is google discussing adding a map cache feature to their navigation suite. I really don't want to buy an application written in another country for navigation. But those are the only ones I see available with resident maps.

Likewise I have asked Garmin if they were going to release an Garmin Nav application, since they use the Navteq database and not held to the license agreement with google maps.

anyone have any other information?

Upvote 0
Is google discussing adding a map cache feature to their navigation suite. I really don't want to buy an application written in another country for navigation. But those are the only ones I see available with resident maps.

Likewise I have asked Garmin if they were going to release an Garmin Nav application, since they use the Navteq database and not held to the license agreement with google maps.

anyone have any other information?

You mean a pre-loaded sd card with a static map? Sort of defeats the purpose of having the phone. Garmin makes a phone for t moblie however.

Upvote 0
doesn't look like the first post of this thread has been updated in a while, but in case anyone else ends up here, here's another option:

NavDroyd

seems like it's by the same company as mapdroyd, but supports navigation. cost is 5 euros.

In the Market it is called TravelDroyd and is free... (Maps are not free tho...)

Upvote 0
You mean a pre-loaded sd card with a static map? Sort of defeats the purpose of having the phone. Garmin makes a phone for t moblie however.

No I mean a Garmin written application with map database, that you pay for so that you can navigate with GPS without cell coverage. IE turn your phone into a garmin GPS.

And Yes I looked at a GarminFone at T mobile, however it doesn't compare to the moto DX. I want to be able to have Garmin GPS on any Android phone.

OR at least be able to cache Google MAPS to my device.

Upvote 0
In the Market it is called TravelDroyd and is free... (Maps are not free tho...)

Looked at that too, again company is not based in the US. I am looking for a US based company to provide me with US Maps. now if I was going or lived in Europe, that would be great.

I just thoughts one of the GPS companies or Navteq themselves would make a standalone nav setup. Like Delorme maps for your latptop.

Upvote 0

Yes I added to the list on googles running tally of "how can we make it better" whatever.

But alas Garmin using Navteq for their map and POI database. Not Gmaps.

They build a android based smartphone, and their new line of nuvi devices seems to use android OS or at least parts of it. It would be nice if you could say pay $40 for an app from garmin that would do GPS Nav on your android phone without cell data.

There are places where cell data isn't that fast or reliabile and maybe some people want to unplug occasionally.

Basically I really don't want to buy a standalone GPS if I don't have to.

Upvote 0
What was their response?

Garmin's partnership with Asus is ending soon, so I think it would be in their best interest to come out with an Android app.

Upvote 0
This is a strange question, when I first tried Google Maps on my Captivate it wanted to install some Text to Speech app which spoke the driving directions.

Since then I had to re-flash my Captivate back to factory settings and for the life of me I cannot find this Google Maps Navigation text to speech option.

Does anyone know where this might be? I did see a Text To Speech menu in the settings which I installed but it's not speaking the driving directions.

Download it in the Android Market.. just search for text to speech. Should get you up and running with actual voice directions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones