• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Apps that make my DHD...

chairman_woo

Nov 23, 2010
So I figured with people slowly trickling into the forum as they get shiny new DHD's it might help someone to give a brief rundown of apps I have found to be incredibly usefull and fun and generally define my experience on the DHD.

System Pannel: Awsome CPU usage monitor, most task killers dont work properly on android 2.2. as it keeps trying to re launch certain apps. but this thing shows you whats doing what to ur CPU and lets you close stuff thats running when it shouldn't or dosent need to be. Dont bother trying to close stock apps and android proscesses as these will just open again (but no disaster if you do it by accident). With propper use can avoid the need for a hardware restart indefinately (or untill the handset crashes). The full version allows you to view memory, cpu and battery levels in graphs for previous days and weeks etc. but the free one is entirely viable also.

3G watchdog: quietly runs in the background and keeps a tab on your mobile data use, if you have a cap or fair use limit.

Green Power: turns off your wifi and 3g when the screen is off, which saves quite alot of power. turning mobile data off completely when you dont need it helps alot too (its far more power intensive than wifi).

DolphinBrowser HD: My personal fave browser as its closest to firefox. Works really well, the gestures thing is really handy, and it takes plugins. Just better to use then the stock browser IMHO. Opera Mini is also good but I prefer dolphin.

ESfile explorer: Basically gives you all the file browsing and moving capabilities of a desktop machine, and unlike astro (which is also good) it allows you to ascess files on the network (wireless) just like a PC. Must have IMHO

Twidroid: If you use twitter at all (Its really good if you follow interesting enough people & acts as a suprisingly effective and fast alternative news source) this is the best app I reckon.

Google Goggles: Google searches via camera! Its bloody witchcraft!

Tube mate: watch and download youtube vids...without needing to log in!

MSNTalk: If you want MSN on the phone, this is by far the best app (others are rubbish).

Sketchbook Mobile:
there is a cut down free version, but the full one is almost like having photoshop! Pretty shure you could do some incredible artwork if you spent enough time playing with it. Good for doodles anyway.

Pkt auction: best ebay app, beats the offical one by miles

Amazon Kindle: much better store than the built in ebook reader

Tricorder: Its a tricorder, but it actually does measure and scan stuff!

Warhammer 40k combat assistant: if you play 40k this is a really good multi dice thimgamagigabob.

Etherial dialpad: Does a passable theremin amongst other sounds. I have managed to produce some pretty passible classic Dr. Who noises with it.

Google Earth & Google Skymap: Cause why not.

Games

Gensoid and Gameboid: by far the best emulators for megadrive and gameboy (loving playing pokemon again on the GBA emulator). There are snes and nes versions too if that tickles your fancy. (there are ...free versions but they dont let you save. well worth paying for the full versions tho). ROMS are really easy to get of the net for free after 2 mins googleing.

ScumVM: takes a bit of research to work out how to set it all up (not much tho) but its an emulator for all the point and click adventure games that used to be big, like monkey island 1-3, sam & max, day of the tentacle, broken sword etc.

OpenTTD: Remember Transport tycoon? well this is that but on Android! Its great!

Fruit Ninja: cause its awsome

X-Plane 9: A genuine flight sim! Its not bad either, tho its like

Nice List!

I'll add in my 2 c.

I would also add

1. Gmote (remotely control apps on your comp like Powerpoint slides - looks cool when doing presentations :)
  2. Google Goggles (works surprisingly well - once you take a picture of something a very sci-fi looking blue line scanner goes over the image marking recognition points and then gives you options/more info/buying info about the product on the net.
  3. I'm a movie/TV buff and into animation so I like some of the entertainment related apps like IMDB & Pulse (subscribe to diff. RSS feeds - covers animation and a very wide range of topics including news - plus interface is pretty cool & fun too with thumbnails of the topics if the feed supports it)
  4. In Games, you CANNOT leave out the very addictive and cool sounding game - TANK HERO! and unbelievably it's free!! Get this one before it becomes paid!
  5. If you're into sketching the very popular Autodesk Sketchbook is available for free. - this is from a gigantic entertainment company that knows what they're doing and the apps more or else are a sign of it (even if they did buy out pretty much every cool 3d app there is around)
  6. Moron Test is a silly little game and one level comes free - it's a bit addictive cos it all seems so easy yet it manages to get the better of you from time to time.
  7. For sound bytes, if you like cartoons - you can use some of these for ringtones - Cult of Cartman, Daffy Duck, Family Guy & even Entourage's Ari Gold Sound bytes- but again these are strictly silly fun stuff and nothing more so you could get bored of them easily.
Have to run now but I will update this with more later.

Cheers,
AndroidFreud.

Reactions: chairman_woo
Upvote 0
Apps

1. Tweetdeck - by far the best Twitter App, and I use it for Facebook notifications as well. I use this constantly.
  2. Handcent SMS - better than the stock Messages app, and none of the notification problems from the recent update.
  3. Custom Car Home - allows me to switch on GPS / BlueTooth and turn off the Wifi automatically. Completely replaced Car Panel.
  4. Co-pilot Live EU - better than Google or Premium Naviation. Works with CCH (#2)
  5. ES File Explorer - Just great
  6. SpringPad - like Evernote, but nicer
  7. Dropbox - For moving files etc.. from PC to Phone etc.
  8. Barcode Scanner - great for QR codes and other general scanning
  9. TuneIn Radio - Since myPlayer lost BBC contect, I use this for Radio5Live
  10. Skype - No explanation necessary. Wish it had video calling but great for Skype to Phone.
  11. Kindle App - better than the Stock Reader, and as good as a dedicated Kindle IMHO
  12. iMO - nice unified MSN/AIM/Yahoo etc. app.
Games

1. Angry Birds / Angry Birds Seasons
  2. Raging Thunder 2
  3. Penguin / Penguin II
  4. Teeter

Reactions: chairman_woo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones