• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The GS3 is an awesome phone!

A little shameless self-promotion: I just wrote up an article about all the 'hidden' features of the Galaxy SIII that make it so awesome. Virtually all the tips I wrote I discovered on this forum. So, thanks you guys!

Check out the article, leave a comment and let me know what I missed.

-Tom Braun

That is a great article! I love this phone also, I have been an android fan since the T-Mobile G1 and have only had android since. I have had the S3 for less than a week, but wow what a week! I upgraded from the S2 and I can't believe the number of positive changes. A few irritations as with any new phone, when things don't work the exact way they used to, but nothing worth writing about. :D

One small note on your article, when on a contact you sweep right to call and left to text. ;)

Upvote 0
A little shameless self-promotion: I just wrote up an article about all the 'hidden' features of the Galaxy SIII that make it so awesome. Virtually all the tips I wrote I discovered on this forum. So, thanks you guys!

Check out the article, leave a comment and let me know what I missed.

-Tom Braun

Tom, I am a noobie to my S3...thanks so much for your article! It will help me get the most out of my new phone, I am sure. Don't hesitate to post more great tips, especially for us beginners...

cheers,
Steve

Reactions: tomnoir
Upvote 0
That is a great article! I love this phone also, I have been an android fan since the T-Mobile G1 and have only had android since. I have had the S3 for less than a week, but wow what a week! I upgraded from the S2 and I can't believe the number of positive changes. A few irritations as with any new phone, when things don't work the exact way they used to, but nothing worth writing about. :D

One small note on your article, when on a contact you sweep right to call and left to text. ;)

Blah, I'm so lysdexic. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing that out. Got it fixed now!

Upvote 0
A great read, good work. I just finished reading the iPhone 5 thread, really disappointing for a non-fanboy trying to find the good stuff to say about the 'other choice'.

I moved from BlackBerry to GNEX (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) to HOX (HTC One X) to GS3 all within one year. It has been quite a journey! It was such a shock to follow the Apple-Samsung trial, since I primarily bought this phone since it is not an iPhone.

One thing I would emphasize a little more than you did (how about 'amplify'?) is the outstanding usefulness of the calendar app. The monthly view is soooo much better than anything I have seen.

I have experienced some lagginess at times, usually solved by the (unique as far as I know) option of re-starting from the shutdown menu (long press on power button).

Also, I have not seen anyone mention that this phone, despite it's size, works brilliantly one - handed (may be due to SwiftKey 3).

Thanks for the genuinely helpful review!

Upvote 0
A great read, good work. I just finished reading the iPhone 5 thread, really disappointing for a non-fanboy trying to find the good stuff to say about the 'other choice'.

I moved from BlackBerry to GNEX (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) to HOX (HTC One X) to GS3 all within one year. It has been quite a journey! It was such a shock to follow the Apple-Samsung trial, since I primarily bought this phone since it is not an iPhone.

One thing I would emphasize a little more than you did (how about 'amplify'?) is the outstanding usefulness of the calendar app. The monthly view is soooo much better than anything I have seen.

I have experienced some lagginess at times, usually solved by the (unique as far as I know) option of re-starting from the shutdown menu (long press on power button).

Also, I have not seen anyone mention that this phone, despite it's size, works brilliantly one - handed (may be due to SwiftKey 3).

Thanks for the genuinely helpful review!

Went to check out the suggestion on the calendar and found something new. If you long press on a day in month or week mode it brings up s note, type note, draw note or leave yourself a little voice note, then it leaves a little highlight on that day to remind you that it's there!

Upvote 0
I tried the Flash +LED but the shake function was really unstable. I would shake it and the light would blink a few times and turn off or it would blink and then stay on for an intermittent amount of time and turn off. I spent an hour trying different settings and sensitivities and finally gave up and uninstalled. Anyone else have this issue? All the same, LOVED the article! Learned several great features on my week old GS3! Thanks!

Upvote 0
I tried the Flash +LED but the shake function was really unstable. I would shake it and the light would blink a few times and turn off or it would blink and then stay on for an intermittent amount of time and turn off. I spent an hour trying different settings and sensitivities and finally gave up and uninstalled. Anyone else have this issue? All the same, LOVED the article! Learned several great features on my week old GS3! Thanks!

Hmm, I definitely had to play with the sensitivity settings to get it right but since then it has worked great. I keep it just north of minimum sensitivity.

If that still doesn't work for you, the app also provides a widget which can be used to toggle the light on and keep it on as long as you want.

Upvote 0
Blah, I'm so lysdexic. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing that out. Got it fixed now!

I usually get things bass ackwards myself. :D

I found another feature I have not seen mentioned on this forum. When you click on the apps shortcut and it brings up all your apps, if you click on the menu button there is an uninstall option. When you select uninstall it puts a little red minus (-) sign next to the apps that can be uninstalled. Then you can select the app you want to remove and it asks you to confirm or cancel. If you say ok, the program is uninstalled. This is so much faster for me since I usually have to find the apps I want to remove in the apps tray and then go back out to settings and manage apps and remember which ones I wanted to remove. I have a photographic memory but my memory card is FULL.:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones