• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Official Did You Get 2.2 Thread

::hops over speedily and nimble. Clears his throat::

::bows slightly:: A good day My Phateless.

I am currently running the manual OTA update Android 2.2.1, Build FRG83B
Witht the Android Market Update to Version 2.09

::places his fuzzy up to his chin as he ponders::

Nope I have not seen anything about the free up of 15 megs. I checked my available memory and its just about 26 megs. This is with some apss that run in the background but I can say testify to this, before the 2.2.1 update it seemed to running with the same memory available so if 2.2.1 puts aside some RAM for itself then some it freed up.

And let us not forget about the celery this time ::winks::

Ahh ok, just curious. Have you rooted it or are you going to leave it alone?

Upvote 0
Ahh ok, just curious. Have you rooted it or are you going to leave it alone?

::comes speeding in and stops on the dime and thinks, tortes my furry butt!::

::brushes himself off::

::Waves:: Hello once and Phateless!

Nope my mt3G is not rooted but the manual update and from what I have read it seems to be running just as good or better so I don't the any reason to root.

I have had no problems at all everything runs smooth a carrot smoothy.

Althought, because they have upped the speed of the processor you shall see the battery draining faster. No well worth trade.

::taps his lil foot:: Still waiting for the celery!

Upvote 0
::comes speeding in and stops on the dime and thinks, tortes my furry butt!::

::brushes himself off::

::Waves:: Hello once and Phateless!

Nope my mt3G is not rooted but the manual update and from what I have read it seems to be running just as good or better so I don't the any reason to root.

I have had no problems at all everything runs smooth a carrot smoothy.

Althought, because they have upped the speed of the processor you shall see the battery draining faster. No well worth trade.

::taps his lil foot:: Still waiting for the celery!

My oem 1.6 gave me BETTER battery life and obviously much better performance when I used setcpu at 245 min/528 max, on-demand. Overclocking doesn't necessarily mean bad battery life.

Upvote 0
I have come to the conclusion that I will never get the update. Im rooted and to be honest it was a pain in the butt to get it rooted and i dont feel like trying to un root it. Who knows how long that will take.

Before you all start posting the links to unroot i know them. I just had an issue with this phone it took me a week for the phone to work properly so i dont feel like doing that again.

Besides ill be getting the 4g after i drop the kid off to school tomorrow / today. :p Ill use this one as a back up / tether machine as its still in mint condition. Looks like it came out of the box.

Ill miss you 3g section. :'(

Upvote 0
I have come to the conclusion that I will never get the update. Im rooted and to be honest it was a pain in the butt to get it rooted and i dont feel like trying to un root it. Who knows how long that will take.

Before you all start posting the links to unroot i know them. I just had an issue with this phone it took me a week for the phone to work properly so i dont feel like doing that again.

Besides ill be getting the 4g after i drop the kid off to school tomorrow / today. :p Ill use this one as a back up / tether machine as its still in mint condition. Looks like it came out of the box.

Ill miss you 3g section. :'(

Jesus, did you really have to root via goldcard? No wonder it was a pita for you. How long ago did you root it?

You realize that now we can root the oem 1.6 with Universal Androot, a simple app that can be installed in two minutes, right?

Unrooting to Cupcake, upgrading to Donut, upgrading to Froyo, then rooting your OEM Froyo with SuperOneClick could all be accomplished in less than an hour if you read carefully and know what you're doing.

Anyway, I'm with you. I'm picking up the MT4G as soon as Costco offers it at a discount like they currently are with the G2.

Upvote 0
Jesus, did you really have to root via goldcard? No wonder it was a pita for you. How long ago did you root it?

You realize that now we can root the oem 1.6 with Universal Androot, a simple app that can be installed in two minutes, right?

Unrooting to Cupcake, upgrading to Donut, upgrading to Froyo, then rooting your OEM Froyo with SuperOneClick could all be accomplished in less than an hour if you read carefully and know what you're doing.

Anyway, I'm with you. I'm picking up the MT4G as soon as Costco offers it at a discount like they currently are with the G2.

OOO.. it was a few months after i bricked my first one.. My guess 6 months ago or longer. I dont remember actually.

NO i did not know that about the universal root. And as the computer guru that i am the phones scare me. I cant really reset them like the computer or a blackberry. If i screw up its a simple patch or reinstall. With the androids i found out once you mess us (big one) your done.

I picked up the 4G this morning and OMFG what a difference. Soo much nicer WAY bigger screen, lighter, million times faster and well im still getting used to it.

Besides i cant go anywhere really im a 3Ger at heart. That and i still have it and will use it. LOL

Upvote 0
OOO.. it was a few months after i bricked my first one.. My guess 6 months ago or longer. I dont remember actually.

NO i did not know that about the universal root. And as the computer guru that i am the phones scare me. I cant really reset them like the computer or a blackberry. If i screw up its a simple patch or reinstall. With the androids i found out once you mess us (big one) your done.

I picked up the 4G this morning and OMFG what a difference. Soo much nicer WAY bigger screen, lighter, million times faster and well im still getting used to it.

Besides i cant go anywhere really im a 3Ger at heart. That and i still have it and will use it. LOL

Holy shit dude, (dudette?) you have to read up over at XDA Forums. It's become SOOO much easier now.

You can re-image the phone back to oem cupcake with a simple SAPPIMG.nbh file. SPL, radio, the works. Put the file on the root of your sd, hold volume down + power while booting and away you go. Easy.
How To: UnRoot Your MyTouch 3G/MyTouch 1.2 MyTouch and Get Back to Cupcake (Updated 04.19.10) | TheUnlockr

From within Cupcake (1.5) you can use flashrec.apk to flash a custom recovery.
How To: Root the HTC MyTouch 3G | TheUnlockr

You can manually update SPL, radio and software back to Donut. There's a thread for that.
Make myTouch 32b Legal Up To Latest 1.6 DMD64 - xda-developers

You can manually update to Froyo the same way.
[ROM][32b] Official AOSP 2.2 OTA - xda-developers

You can root from Cupcake or Donut with universal androot. (apk that installs to phone itself)
[GUIDE] Universal AndRoot - 1-click root (works on MyTouch 3G 1.2) - xda-developers

Or superoneclick (app for pc) can root your oem Froyo as well.
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.3 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

It's easy to flash different radios or SPLs and you can use nandroid backup/restore to save a complete image of your current setup (except for your spl and radio) so you can revert if the change you just made bugs you.

Do some reading. Have fun staying up all night flashing your phone back and forth! :p Especially now that you have a spare phone and don't have to worry so much about bricking.

Upvote 0
Did the manual update on my wife's phone from the links posted on the T-Mobile forums. I know this sounds silly, but the links seemed legit and had tons of positive responses after the upgrade.

Performed the upgrade, no issue whatsoever. Phone boots quickly and has all the advertised features.

Except now I can not get it to work with wifi. It logs on to the router with no issues, but it just does not transfer data. Did a few factory resets with no change in performance. My wife rarely uses wifi so she doesn't really care, and it doesn't effect any other performance of the phone.

But the OCD in me hates that a certain feature won't work.

Suggestions?

Upvote 0
I got my mytouch 3g off ebay in Aug
model # = T-Mobile mytouch 3g,
Firmware version 1.5
Build number = COC10

I do not have tmobile for service I have iwireless a tmobile affiliate and have a full data and text plan.

Q: How can I update to the 1.6 donut? So I can get the 2.2 update, or is it better if I root?

I called both tmobile and iwireless neither could help me update the firmware to 1.6.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
I got my mytouch 3g off ebay in Aug
model # = T-Mobile mytouch 3g,
Firmware version 1.5
Build number = COC10

I do not have tmobile for service I have iwireless a tmobile affiliate and have a full data and text plan.

Q: How can I update to the 1.6 donut? So I can get the 2.2 update, or is it better if I root?

I called both tmobile and iwireless neither could help me update the firmware to 1.6.

Thank you!

[myTouch 3G] Updated guide to unrooting, installin... - T-Mobile Community

Upvote 0
Did the manual update on my wife's phone from the links posted on the T-Mobile forums. I know this sounds silly, but the links seemed legit and had tons of positive responses after the upgrade.

Performed the upgrade, no issue whatsoever. Phone boots quickly and has all the advertised features.

Except now I can not get it to work with wifi. It logs on to the router with no issues, but it just does not transfer data. Did a few factory resets with no change in performance. My wife rarely uses wifi so she doesn't really care, and it doesn't effect any other performance of the phone.

But the OCD in me hates that a certain feature won't work.

Suggestions?

When I read posts like this, I'm afraid of screwing things up doing the manual update.

Upvote 0
When I read posts like this, I'm afraid of screwing things up doing the manual update.

The only difference is that you apply it manually instead of waiting for it ota. The files were originally downloaded directly from google by people who caught the download links when their own phones got the ota update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones