• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The unofficial wich apps are working on Tattoo!

First of all, thanks a lot for the list! I would have been lost without.

Some of you have been asking for a QR scanner. Maybe ScanLife will do the trick for you. I found this article:

ScanLife 2D bar code reader comes to Android | Crave - CNET

...and used my mobile browser to go to: Scanlife

There is no version for Tattoo but you can get a version for Hero, Magic and Dream. I picked Hero and it looks like it's working (just a quick test).

On the other hand: Can someone help me with a Google maps version where you can use the layer function and "My maps"?

I have been using these functions for some time on my old HTC Touch Diamond and must admid that I was deeply surprised that Tattoo came without them...very strange...

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have the HTC Tattoo on Orange UK and cannot find any of the popular unofficial applications mentioned such as Facebook, Ebuddy, Myspace to mention but a few, on either The Market place or Slideme.org. Also getjar.com does not list the Tattoo as a Phone :-(

Any further advice on how or where to get these?

Cheers

Upvote 0
I got Navit to work ok on my tattoo. The only issue I had was that the TTS system used was not available in the Market. Install the Extended TTS system instead and it works.

I got this app from the Navit Wiki at Navit's Wiki.

Please notice that I have given information on where to obtain this app peeps. Many of the above mentioned working un-offical apps I cannot find anywhere, and what I can find just tries to look them up in the Market - from where they are missing.. As mentioned by royiswise. I too am on orange UK and I don't get what they've done to my phone, or why they've even done it as it seems to me they've broke it!

Upvote 0
Google Sky Maps Finally on Market place along with updated Google Maps with layers ftw.

Bluetooth File Transfer available but has issues with Tattoo, says will work when udpated to eclair :(

yeah I tried it too - it says compatible with android 2.0 only. Not sure if the Tattoo does get an upgrade wether the hardware will support it or not? It maybe the case that only devices that ship with 2.0 will be compatible.

Oh yeah and nobody knows wether the tattoo will actually get a 2.0 update!

Upvote 0
Found a couple of useful/useless (depending on what you want).

If you go to Application management under settings, find HTC Sense you can deselect the defaults with it, then next time you press the home button it asks what you want to do, mark the box underneath and select Home. This will then show the default Android home screen everytime home is selected. I prefer this as more of the background is seen, and it is marginally quicker. The downside is you do not get use of HTC widgets such as the full screen music and calendar widgets (never use them anyway, you still can use Android widgets), and you get 3 screens instead of seven, which is much preferred for me. If you don't like go back into app management, find home and delete the defaults, then next time home is pressed select the HTC Sense option. Hope this helps someone.

The over thing is Madcow solutions have managed to get Google Maps working with Navigator in the UK, with full 3D directions and voice navigation. I have this working o my phone and it is incredible (THANK YOU MADCOW!!).

This is the link from the Madcow site (www.madcowsolutions.com) to download the necessary file Maps3.2.1-patched-no-root.apk ... at uploaded.to - Free File Hosting, Free Image Hosting, Free Music Hosting, Free Video Hosting, ...

All you do is download it, transfer to device then using a file manager app find it and install it. This will lead to having two Google Maps on your device, once you find the right one just drop that onto your home page (it was the second one for me). If any programs ask which action you wish to take you select the files ending with m4ps not maps.

Yet again I hope this helps somebody.

Also, is it possible to get a very brief description of what each of the above programs actually do so we have some idea if we need/want them in the first place?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones