• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Theming a Market app?

VIO

Android Enthusiast
May 12, 2010
Ok so I want to swap out the low res drawables in a widget app for my own higher res ones. Can I do that? not sure what to try first or whether it's possible

Any thoughts would be helpful from the theme centric people

Ok so I want to swap out the low res drawables in a widget app for my own higher res ones. Can I do that? not sure what to try first or whether it's possible

Any thoughts would be helpful from the theme centric people

You should be able to, as long as you don't break the sign on the .apk.

I will be finding out this evening.

Reactions: VIO
Upvote 0
The problem that you are going to run into is that once you modify the signature is going to fail. You could install it in /system/app to bypass the signature verification but either way even if you self sign it, you will no longer get updates from the market.

System apps bypass signature verification? huh didn't know that. What about the self sign tool that's available, I would imagine that isn't the same as the Google market signature right?

Upvote 0
I've never bothered doing it myself but I did check on it at one time. Over at XDA they have something that will sign your apps for you to install in /data/app/ but like I said you still won't get market updates since it A) was not installed from the market and B) no longer has the original signature. That is why you would always see people who themed LP and ADW push it to /system/app/. And I could be wrong on the bypassing of signature verification in system apps but I believe that I'm right, won't hurt to try.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705484

Upvote 0
Apk Manager 4.8 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) - xda-developers

That will sign apks for you from what I understand although I havent actually tried it. Theming market apps is more trouble than its worth in my opinion though. Each time an update comes out you have to retheme it either because the app no longer gets updates from the market or because when it updated it replaced all your pngs. If its an app that doesnt get updated often it could be worth it though.

Upvote 0
Apk Manager 4.8 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) - xda-developers

That will sign apks for you from what I understand although I havent actually tried it. Theming market apps is more trouble than its worth in my opinion though. Each time an update comes out you have to retheme it either because the app no longer gets updates from the market or because when it updated it replaced all your pngs. If its an app that doesnt get updated often it could be worth it though.

checking it out...

and yeah I've this app doesn't do a whole lot of updating, plus it already has every bit of functionality I want out of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones