• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thoughts on the latest Amazon Tablet rumors?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Jun 7, 2010
According to MC Seigler, he has seen and played with the new Amazon tablet. According to him it is...........

Named the Kindle
Single core
Similar form factor to the Blackberry Playbook
7"
Runs Android that looks nothing like any current Android version. It's a unique Amazon skin on top
~6 GB of internal memory and no SD slot
Wifi only (3G versions in the works)
Comes with Amazon's store of course as well as their app store, cloud player, Kindle app and access to Amazon's VOD service
Will be out in November (which I think may be pushing it time wise if they want Black Friday sales)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, the two juiciest parts............

Costs $249 and comes with a Prime subscription. teh hotness

I kind of want one even though I can already do all of those things on my 7" Galaxy Tab and I already have a Prime subscriptions.

Your thoughts if any of this is true? Siegler claims he has held one in his hand and played with it for about an hour. Says it will run any app Amazon currently offers in their app store which makes it more of a true tablet than the NC. He says they are not doing any deal with Google on this.

Personally, I have been looking for a fully functional tablet that I can also use as a ereader, watch movies, surf the net, play a few games, and keep my 4 year old entertained when she's bored. While the price of this sounds great, I think they fell short in delivering on features because they are trying to keep the price as low as possible and get it out to the mass market. I think the tab may appeal to a lot of people in the general public because of Amazon's ecosystem and their reputation, but I'm not sold. I want a 10 inch tab with an SD card slot.

My desire to go on a a strict Apple free diet had be really interested in the Amazon tab, but the music content is not available here in Canda without jumping through hoops.

The Xoom was on sale where I am today for $100 bucks off plus I had a gift card, so I bit the bullet and bought it. It's not perfect for what I wanted it for, but it will do most of what I want it to do.

I really think when they come out with their 10 inch version, it will compete well with the ipad if they put in a few more features. Anything that brings more business to the android platform will be good for more apps, so it's all good.

Upvote 0
The 10" Dual core is supposedly in the works for next year. I don't think you need an SD slot for this particular type of tablet. Ebooks take up just KB of data. Your music is in the cloud. Your movies are streaming (free with a Prime subscription for some stuff). All you need the memory for is apps and 6 GB of space for apps is more than most phones get.

Upvote 0
The 10" Dual core is supposedly in the works for next year. I don't think you need an SD slot for this particular type of tablet. Ebooks take up just KB of data. Your music is in the cloud. Your movies are streaming (free with a Prime subscription for some stuff). All you need the memory for is apps and 6 GB of space for apps is more than most phones get.

I like the SD slot for easy viewing of pictures from my camera card.

Amazon music service is not available in Canada due to some out dated copy right laws which basically prohibit Canadian consumers from storing a digital copy of their music on an external hard drive. The law is outdated and supposebly being changed but it will take time. In the meantime, Canadians are screwed! There's work arounds but it's still kind of a pain in the butt. I'm currently storing with Google music beta in the cloud right now (another one that is not supposed to be available in Canada).

I'm not sure if the Prime subscription is available here, but it sounds great for those of you living in the US. I think Amazon will have a win with the product with the free Prime subscription and easily saving stuff in the cloud. I'll just be happy to watch them take a bite out of Apple and wait until they come out with the 10 inch and I know the content is availabe here in Canada officially.

Upvote 0
I can see the camera app for photos, but if you're taking photos with your phone and using any sort of app to upload them automatically to some service, that app is likely available in the App store as well. So you'd get photos that way. I'd be shocked if you couldn't mount the thing as a USB drive and copy stuff as well if you needed/wanted to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones