• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thunderbolt Root/Unroot Thread

My thunderbolt had root
and it suffered bootloop yesterday due to some reason after flashing dasBAMF rom.

So I tried flashing 2.11.605.5 rooted ota PG05IMG from Android Police
and it totally went back to stock rom
I also realized I've lost root when I tried using apps for rooted phones only.
It was strange because I saw in the download thread saying it has root..

I tried flashing again on HBOOT and I found
there were no "LOCKED" text on the top. I believe that should be there if I don't have root.
Instead, it said "Revolutionary" on the top

So anyhow I found this thread, trying to gain root again.
When I ran the revolutionary program,
it came out said "Your device is already S-OFF"

Well, the apps I tried to run said I don't have root
and this program says I'm already rooted..

What should I do??

all you need to do is download a recovery of your choice and install it in hboot as a PG05IMG file. pick one from here: http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...adios-recoveries-hboot-updated-1-25-12-a.html

after you have the recovery,just reflash the superuser .zip file like when you rooted. superuser 3.07 is available here: public:revolutionary [RootWiki] :)

Upvote 0
all you need to do is download a recovery of your choice and install it in hboot as a PG05IMG file. pick one from here: http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...adios-recoveries-hboot-updated-1-25-12-a.html

after you have the recovery,just reflash the superuser .zip file like when you rooted. superuser 3.07 is available here: public:revolutionary [RootWiki] :)

Wow Thanks :)

All the mirrors for clockworkmod recovery were somehow unavailable,
but barely found AmonRA recovery mirror did work.

I downloaded rom manager to flash another rom,
and I was surprised to see that it said CWM recovery was already installed..
I wonder how that could happen...

Upvote 0
After doing some searching about invalid beta keys in the Revolutionary tool, I have seen that the font is a little hard to read on the terminal, and so it's easy to confuse an "I" for a "1" and whatnot. I didn't realize you can paste into the terminal via the dropdown menu in the top left corner. I will try that tomorrow. Hopefully I am just entering it incorrectly. I would be majorly disappointed if I coudn't root and rom my final replacement Thunderbolt.

I left my laptop at church yesterday morning, and I won't be able to get it until Tuesday. But I'll try this again Wednesday morning.

Upvote 0
cool. let us know how it goes :)

I am trying it on a co-workers laptop, but wouldn't you know the Revolutionary site appears to be down right now, so I can't get a beta key until it's back up. :-(

I don't suppose you could try and go there just to see if it is really down or something is going on with my computer? And if it's up, would you mind me PM'ing you my serial number, and you could pm me back the beta key?

Upvote 0
I'm confident in being able to root my phone, however; in order to do so, I have to downgrade my software from version .9 to a .5. This is where my issues follow. The tutorials that I have come across are a bit confusing considering that I have not done this before. It was recommended to downgrade by some sort of .exe file but I do not know its location. Could someone please assist me in downgrading my phone? Thank you.

edit: I'm rooted!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
glad you got it (both of ya :D)

for those seeing this in a search later:

easiset way to downgrade is to download the .exe file for 2.11.605.5 and run it on the PC. plug in your phone when it tells you. links for this and other RUUs are in the 4th post of this thread :)

Most of the links in these posts are not working.. :( I get "file not found" or invalid.

Are these links going to be updated sometime?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Most of the links in these posts are not working.. :( I get "file not found" or invalid.

Are these links going to be updated sometime?

Thanks!

every one ive checked,the "Wupload" link is still working for download.

the radio,recovery,hboot files can be uploaded to media fire,but the bigger files will need somewhere else for a mirror,as media fire has a 200mb limit,so i am prolly not going to update the links until such a time that they stop working.

is there a particular one you cant find?

Upvote 0
So here is my dilemma, scotty is trying to help me but I'm sure he is busy too. So In the mean time feel free to help. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

My tbolt was rooted the original way manually. Now my screen is blank/black. The phone is up and running but I can't see anything. ADB is setup and I can get to fastboot. I use Linux (ubuntu or mint). They are sending me a new one since my warranty is not over yet but I would like to return it to stock before returning it. Here are my questions:

1- I don't need the tbolt.zip file since I used the original manual root (jcase and teamandirc), correct? All I need the the other two files from post #5, right?

2- I can't download the two files, the website is down. Any mirrors?

3-When I go through this process, does this erase everything? I actually prefer this since I want my personal data erased. Anything else I can do to make sure it is erased before I send it back (erasing any folders?)

TIA

Upvote 0
i replied to your PM,did you get it?

ive added mirrors for tbolt and hboot only. no hboot is still at about 51% :eek:

since you dont have adb set up,you dont need most of tbolt,but it does contian the md5 application it contains the hboot youll need,so you might as well download it,even if you just wish to move those things into your adb file

turns out its easy peezy to make a backup with amon and adb,so if youre willing to install amon to make said backup,ill get working on the directions to add making a backup to the unroot.

last,and not least,yes,everything will be erased after flashing the ruu(no hboot.zip) :)

Upvote 0
i replied to your PM,did you get it?

ive added mirrors for tbolt and hboot only. no hboot is still at about 51% :eek:

since you dont have adb set up,you dont need most of tbolt,but it does contian the md5 application it contains the hboot youll need,so you might as well download it,even if you just wish to move those things into your adb file

turns out its easy peezy to make a backup with amon and adb,so if youre willing to install amon to make said backup,ill get working on the directions to add making a backup to the unroot.

last,and not least,yes,everything will be erased after flashing the ruu(no hboot.zip) :)

I'll bring our conversation here just in case it would help another poor soul :) in the future.

Yes I do have adb setup and can access fastboot so I'm all set. I also seem to have downloaded all three files. Someone on XDA sent me a link for a mirror, I have not checked the md5 but will as soon as I get home. I run Linux boxes so md5 program not needed. I will just run it in the terminal.

Here is the link he posted:

HTC Thunderbolt 4G STOCK UNROOT S-ON | alexus's blog

both file names from post#1 and his link say 2.11.605.9, so I assume they are the same file.

questions:

1- Do I need the first step for the hbooteng.nb0? I used the original root method not revolutionary? I thought I read some where that this step is only needed for the revolutionary method.

2- I'd love to try the amon to back up. But my whole reasoning was that titanium backup is able to extract app and data from the cwm nandroid so I could get some of my data back. You think it can be done with amon too? It should. I have to this before anything else, right?

3- without a screen, is there a way to confirm that the phone is S-ON and stock?

Also, I'm going to use the note you sent me on XDA to backup my data folder

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p26 of=/sdcard/data.img

to backup and

adb shell dd if=/sdcard/data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p26

to restore it in the new phone. Is this going to work?

You are my hero :) I would like to buy you a beer, you do not have anything setup for that.

Once I do this with Ubuntu Linux, will write something to add to this thread to help others running Linux

Upvote 0
ok,heres basically what you will do:

download amon recovery 3.06 from the http://androidforums.com/thunderbol...adios-recoveries-hboot-updated-1-25-12-a.html thread. place the PG05IMG-whatever-its-named into tbolt(or whatever directory youre using)

open a cmd window:

adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip whatever your PG05IMG is name.zip

when its finished,

fastboot reboot

after its rebooted,

adb reboot recovery

when youre pretty sure its in recovery:

adb devices (should return a HTxxxxxx recovery)

adb shell (should turn prompt to #)

nandroid-mobile.sh -b --norecovery --nocache --nomisc --nosplash1 --nosplash
2 --defaultinput 1>&2

when its done,you can:
exit

adb reboot

when its booted,just do every thing in post 5 :)

last and not least,heres what flashing amon as an RUU will look like:
Code:
c:\tbolt>[COLOR="Red"]fastboot devices[/COLOR]
HT12CS012936    fastboot

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]fastboot oem rebootRUU[/COLOR]
                              ... OKAY [  0.224s]
finished. total time: 0.224s

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]fastboot flash zip PG05IMGrecovery-ra-mecha-3.06-gnm.zip[/COLOR]
       sending 'zip' (5765 KB)... OKAY [  0.953s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
INFOstart image[recovery] unzipping & flushing...
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,0
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,37
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,48
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,58
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,71
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,85
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,97
INFO[RUU]UZ,recovery,100
INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,0
INFO[RUU]WP,recovery,100
OKAY [  7.071s]
finished. total time: 8.025s

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot[/COLOR]

and heres what the backup line looks like:
Code:
c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
/ # [COLOR="red"]nandroid-mobile.sh -b --norecovery --nocache --nomisc --nosplash1 --nosplash
2 --defaultinput 1>&2[/COLOR]
nandroid-mobile.sh -b --norecovery --nocache --nomisc --nosplash1 --nosplash
2 --defaultinput 1>&2

nandroid-mobile v2.2.3

Using G1 keyboard, enter a prefix substring and then <CR>
or just <CR> to accept default: Accepting default.

Using - prefix to create a backup folder

mounting system and data read-only, sdcard read-write
checking free space on sdcard
boot found on /dev/block/mmcblk0p22
sh: missing ]
Dumping boot to /sdcard/nandroid/HT12CS012936/BDS-19800106-0001/boot.img...1024+
0 records in
1024+0 records out
4194304 bytes (4.0MB) copied, 0.229339 seconds, 17.4MB/s
done
Dump of the recovery partition suppressed.
Dump of the misc partition suppressed.
Dump of the wimax partition suppressed.
Dumping system to /sdcard/nandroid/HT12CS012936/BDS-19800106-0001/system.img...d
one
Dumping data to /sdcard/nandroid/HT12CS012936/BDS-19800106-0001/data.img...done
Dump of the cache partition suppressed.
generating md5sum file...done
unmounting system, data and sdcard
Backup successful.
/ # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
exit

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="Red"]adb reboot[/COLOR]

edit:
crap! looks like no hboot stuck at 70% :mad: ill start it again...

Upvote 0
I'll bring our conversation here just in case it would help another poor soul :) in the future.

Yes I do have adb setup and can access fastboot so I'm all set. I also seem to have downloaded all three files. Someone on XDA sent me a link for a mirror, I have not checked the md5 but will as soon as I get home. I run Linux boxes so md5 program not needed. I will just run it in the terminal.

Here is the link he posted:

HTC Thunderbolt 4G STOCK UNROOT S-ON | alexus's blog

both file names from post#1 and his link say 2.11.605.9, so I assume they are the same file.

questions:

1- Do I need the first step for the hbooteng.nb0? I used the original root method not revolutionary? I thought I read some where that this step is only needed for the revolutionary method.correct. if you rooted old school,and youre following the directions in post#5,you wont need hbooteng.nb0,thats your current bootloader,and youll be replacing it directly with the 1.05.0000

2- I'd love to try the amon to back up. But my whole reasoning was that titanium backup is able to extract app and data from the cwm nandroid so I could get some of my data back. You think it can be done with amon too? It should. I have to this before anything else, right?correct. hopefully the above clears it up some.do the backup before doing anything else in post #5.

once you get the new phone,install amon,restore the backup. if you want to continue on a new rom,just run titanium backup at this time.

3- without a screen, is there a way to confirm that the phone is S-ON and stock? you can do a fastboot getvar all with the phone in fastboot. right after step 19 would be a good time

Also, I'm going to use the note you sent me on XDA to backup my data folder

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p26 of=/sdcard/data.img

to backup and

adb shell dd if=/sdcard/data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p26

to restore it in the new phone. Is this going to work?
it should. id do the amon backup,too,or even instead of. i just did it on my TB and it worked fine. made the backup like that,wiped and restored that backup. no issues.
You are my hero :) I would like to buy you a beer, you do not have anything setup for that.
nope :)

i do appreciate the offer,tho. just click the "thanks" button is enuff :cool:

Once I do this with Ubuntu Linux, will write something to add to this thread to help others running Linux awsome. sounds like a worthwhile addition,id appreciate the contribution :cool:

oops,10 char :eek:

Upvote 0
heres what youll see with the getvar. this is my thunderbolt,but it gives you the idea:
Code:
c:\tbolt>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\tbolt>[COLOR="Red"]fastboot getvar all[/COLOR]
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 1.04.2000 [COLOR="Blue"]<-this should say [B]1.05.0000[/B][/COLOR]
INFOversion-baseband: 1.48.00.0101w [COLOR="Blue"]<-this should be [B]1.48.00.0930w[/B] [/COLOR]
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: /
INFOversion-main: 2.10.605.1 [COLOR="blue"]<-this should be [B]2.11.605.9[/B][/COLOR]
INFOserialno: HTxxxxxxxx
INFOimei: 355195000000017
INFOproduct: mecha
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7630
INFOmodelid: PG05*****
INFOcidnum: 11111111 [COLOR="blue"]<- this should be [B]VZW_001[/B][/COLOR]
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4112mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: off [COLOR="Blue"]<-this should say [B]on[/B][/COLOR]
INFObuild-mode: ENG [COLOR="blue"]<-this should be [B]SHIP[/B][/COLOR]
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 9a13ccd2
INFOhbootpreupdate: 12
INFOgencheckpt: 0
INFOregion-id: not support
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.023s

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones