• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tmobile customer service doesnt know anything

So I just called in to CS and all they would offer is the $249.99 - $50 MIR.

Now I've been with T-Mo for over 10 years and I'm out of contract. What do I have to do to get a deal?? Does it really come down to threatening to jump?

Surely I should be able to do better...

Any advice??
Did you call Customer Service or Retentions? Customer Service won't really negotiate on anything. They offered you the standard out of contract, renewal price.

Try calling 800-Tmobile and say "contract" or "cancel" when asked what you want and see what the loyalty department can do for you.

You don't have the threaten to cancel, but tell them you saw the Evo and Droid X and are thinking of switching and want to see what TMo can do for you.

Upvote 0
Did you call Customer Service or Retentions? Customer Service won't really negotiate on anything. They offered you the standard out of contract, renewal price.

Try calling 800-Tmobile and say "contract" or "cancel" when asked what you want and see what the loyalty department can do for you.

You don't have the threaten to cancel, but tell them you saw the Evo and Droid X and are thinking of switching and want to see what TMo can do for you.

I did say "Retentions" at the voice prompt which was answered with "cancel service" so I assume I was sent to Retentions. Told them my boss wanted me to switch to ATT since the rest of the company is on iPhones.

Tried to be nice and innocent with my call. Guess I need to be more forceful and definite...

Upvote 0
I did say "Retentions" at the voice prompt which was answered with "cancel service" so I assume I was sent to Retentions.
I wouldn't be certain of that. Ask if they are the loyalty or retentions department.

Maybe I have a big gold star marked on my account, I don't know. I had two reps who were willing to give me everything without me having to push at all.

Upvote 0
Which is the better way to go, Retentions or Loyalty?

Thanks for your guidance!
It's one department as far as I know. I don't know if it has an actual "official" name for it.

To tell you the truth, I don't think customer service can get you a lower price on the phone that just came out. Perhaps asking if they can get rid of the rebate and pay $200 straight up would be possible.

I don't know. Somehow I got it for $99 AR this morning through loyalty department.

My order receipt does not show the $99 discount, but the rep said something about that she'd go on to my account just before the bill cycle closed out and put it on. I'm not worried, 2 different reps quoted that $99 discount to me.

Upvote 0
I don't know. Somehow I got it for $99 AR this morning through loyalty department.

My order receipt does not show the $99 discount, but the rep said something about that she'd go on to my account just before the bill cycle closed out and put it on. I'm not worried, 2 different reps quoted that $99 discount to me.
Well, I guess I was wrong. Glad to hear you got it for that price. Yeah, loyalty department seems to be the best place to call to get anything done or fixed.

Upvote 0
Success! Tried calling again this afternoon. This time, got a much friendlier rep (maybe it helped that we are both in Oregon enjoying spectacular weather). She was able to set me up with $149.99 for the phone, no shipping fee (expedited to boot), and lowered my data cost to $20 a month.

Now I just have to wait for it to be shipped. Could be a loooong weekend! :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones