• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root To Root or Not To Root.

xxbrysonxx

Sep 20, 2010
Well this is the last day of September and I had convinced myself not to even think about rooting the phone until Samsung had released the GPS fix that was due out this month because I'm not sure if rooting affects OTA updates or not.

The OTA that was pushed out did absolutely nothing to improve my GPS (in fact, it may actually be worse now), and I have not seen anything concrete on if/when Samsung will be pushing out another OTA so it might be time to consider rooting my phone to take full advantage of its capabilities.

I'm wrestling back and forth with it right now, trying to decide whether to root or give it a few more weeks to see if Samsung releases any official statements.

How difficult is it to "unroot" once you've rooted your phone? That might be the deciding factor.

Also, aside from the various lag fixes, what kinds of other stuff does rooting allow one to achieve?

Went ahead and did the "Unleash the Beast" Root/Rom a couple of hours ago. Haven't noticed a whole hell of a lot of difference just yet, but I do feel a bit better knowing that some of the bloatware that AT&T pre-loaded on my phone has been removed.

I'm loving this phone so far, I just wish I had a functioning GPS. I've had Google Maps open for the last 15 minutes and have not come even remotely close to getting a lock. Kinda frustrating.

Upvote 0
Went ahead and did the "Unleash the Beast" Root/Rom a couple of hours ago. Haven't noticed a whole hell of a lot of difference just yet, but I do feel a bit better knowing that some of the bloatware that AT&T pre-loaded on my phone has been removed.

I'm loving this phone so far, I just wish I had a functioning GPS. I've had Google Maps open for the last 15 minutes and have not come even remotely close to getting a lock. Kinda frustrating.

Apparently the update didn't work for you. Yeah I bet it is frustrating. UTB doesn't do anything as far as performance, it just gives your phone root, removes bloatware and enables sideloading. It's just a Tool to get you the basics. Try a ROM like Cognition, since it's the only one out right now.

I'll be releasing one soon, still doing BETA testing. ROMs is where things should be a little different. Congrats on the root though.....great move....I assure you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones