• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tomorrow's Sprint 2.2 update over Unrevoked 3?

so i can just upgrade over unrevoked 3, or do I have to unroot first? I have no problem losing it, i mainly only use it for the FPS fix and to make a backup. I already did that with nandorid and titanium, so i am set in that department for awhile and would like to get froyo from stock, just guessing doing it with a custom root version will wipe data but the OTA update will not which i like since i hate redoing everything on my phone. Correct me if I am wrong on that point.

Upvote 0
I would return your unrevoked phone to stock before applying any OTA update. Last OTA update, there were reported instances of rooted phones being bricked. Don't take the chance.

And like what others have said, once you go back to stock and get 2.2 official release, you won't be able to root again until hackers find a new exploit on the 2.2 ROM. Whereas if you're already rooted, getting a rooted 2.2 stock rom will be a breeze.

The moral: if you have root, treasure it. Don't give it away lightly. You may never have a chance to get it back.

Upvote 0
Let's say I upgrade to 2.2 and want to go back to Sprints stock Rom and root again in case it doesn't get rooted... is that possible to do once your on froyo?

That was a very confusing question. Here's how i interpret it:

You want to give up root and upgrade to the official 2.2. Then, you want to apply a stock 2.2 with root, in case an exploit to gain root access is never achieved on the official 2.2.

What you ask is not possible. Once you unroot, you lose the ability to install custom ROMs. Furthermore, the procedures you currently see to root your phone from a stock build will NOT APPLY to 2.2. You will have to wait for someone to figure out how to break into a 2.2 build. If no one ever figures it out (unlikely), you will never be able to get root access again.

If you are currently rooted, and you are patient, wait for someone to add superuser to the official 2.2 stock build. Then flash this rom. Adding superuser to a rom is very trivial and should be available the same day the official 2.2 is released. Worst case, the day after.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones