• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Toshiba Excite 7.7": You tend to get what you pay for-

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Since "donating" the HTC View to my son, I have been looking for a 7" tablet again. Besides the great build, good display and SD slot, I really liked that ALL of the display was usable instead of a fixed navigation bar taking up space. I like this so much, I never updated the tablet, since the honeycomb update took up space with a bar. GB was fine for me as not to lose the space.

I looked at the Nexus 7, but the lack of a card slot and the fixed nav bar on a 7" display results in a 6.5" display. The next option was the Galaxy 7.7 or the Excite 7.7. I chose the Excite for several reasons: I got the 32gb version for $400 delivered from Newegg, so lower price for a better spec device with same or perhaps a tad better display.

Compared to the Nexus, the addtional $150 affords a better build, MUCH better display, sd slot and no need to root to have full OTG support. An added bonus is since a 7.7" display, I still have 7.2" of actual display in spite of the navigation bar. Almost 21% more display and still similr size is a good thing.

It is a shame Toshiba did not (or could not) release this at $400 and the 16gb for $350. That is a fair price for this device and would have sold very well. I have had my sights on this device for several months, but did not purchase due to the higher price that most retailers still sell for. This tablet for me is worth $150 more than the Nexus, but becomes a long stretch after that.

Added:

The one negative though is the proprietary charge cable. I miss the simple charge via the micro USB. Far more convenient. Toshiba designed this way to try and milk even more money from people to use an (also) over-priced dock. Fail.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones