• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touching issues with ROG Phone 5

Youchan3070

Lurker
Oct 26, 2021
Few weeks ago one drop of sirup went on my ROG Phone 5. It went in the volume buttons. After 30 minutes I restarted the phone two times and than I dried the phone for three days. I also cleaned the buttons with some isopropyl alcohol, because the buttons were sticky. After two weeks I noticed the phone is vibrating the whole time in my pocket. I pulled it out and I noticed that my phone has touching issues and randomly touches somewhere on the screen. Then I restarted the device and it works fine. Do you think that the phone had touching issues because of the sirup? Or is it because the phone was maybe slightly bent in the pocket?

Remote diagnosis is notoriously tricky. I'd have thought damage from syrup ingress more likely than the phone being bent in the pocket (especially since the symptoms continued after you removed it from the pocket), but there's no obvious reason why a restart would fix anything that was the result of either mechanical or chemical damage. So it might also have been some bizarre software issue (if the processor was being overwhelmed you could imagine that producing touch issues if it was struggling to register touches).

Bottom line, no idea. If it keeps happening then liquid damage/internal corrosion is a possibility, but you can't know without opening the phone up and having a look. If it's a one-off then don't worry about it.

Upvote 0
If it was bent within its elastic limit it would unbend when you took the pressure off. If it went beyond the elastic limit it would not unbend by itself at all. Either way I find it unlikely that it would unbend by itself some while after you took it out of the pocket.

But if it's worked for 3 weeks then cool, it sounds like whatever it was was a one-off ;).

Upvote 0
Syrup is a pretty thick, viscous, and sticky fluid so once it works its way into the internal spaces inside your phone that will be difficult to clear out entirely. Also, using water would be more effective as an actual solvent to syrup, not alcohol.
I just wanted to clean the buttons and it wasn't that much sirup. It was like 1ml. And the sirup was also diluted with water. (80% water)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And I don't mind if it's inside as long as it doesn't casue problems.
Well since you are having problems there is a matter of determining just what's causing them. It might be the syrup or something else. If so, keep in mind that smartphones are not designed to work with foreign substances added to their interiors. Stuff that may or may not have conductive properties 'could' be an issue depending on what they're in contact with. Also, all it takes is a small drop of a fluid to make an impact so whether it was actually just 1 ml or 20, even just a minuscule amount will get spread out over a wider amount. Space tolerances inside our phones are very tight and compacted, so basic capillary forces will make a difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones