• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfer problem

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
My old phone is unable to stay on for a long time. so I quickly copy and paste all the
files in the phones to my pc. Just a simple connect usb cable to phone, copy
the files that are inside phone internal storage and then paste into my windows pc.

Now my old phone is faulty and unable to switch on, no longer able to use it.

1. Can I restore my new phone to have everything that was in the old phone by using smart switch or any other methods by connecting usb cable from pc to new phone? (note that the files inside pc is not made by smart switch, the files are just a simple copy (from the old phone) and paste (into pc)

2. How to restore the old phone sms messages history and contacts (from old phone files in pc) to my new phone?

Thanks.

Last edited:
So most likely, the battery in the old phone is kaput.

So I would try leaving it plugged into the charger until it claims to be fully charged, then turn it on and leave it plugged in.

Then I would use a wireless option for file transfer.

Common methods are apps that allow sharing between devices that are on the same wi-fi system.
(NitroShare, Sharik, Treble Shot, etc.)

Another method is to upload your data and then download onto the chosen device.
(Telegram, Degoo, Google Drive, etc.)

Upvote 0
My old phone is unable to stay on for a long time. so I quickly copy and paste all the
the files that are inside phone internal storage and then paste into my windows pc.

1. Can I restore my new phone to have everything that was in the old phone by using smart switch or any other methods by connecting usb cable from pc to new phone? (note that the files inside pc is not made by smart switch, the files are just a simple copy (from the old phone) and paste (into pc)

2. How to restore the old phone sms messages history and contacts (from old phone files in pc) to my new phone?

Thanks.
1. yes you can use smart switch if the old and new phone are from samsung, but your old phone needs to be able to stay on to at least copy the data.
2. smart switch does not save sms messages. you can use something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore to backup and restore your texts. as far as contacts smart switch should be able to do this. but your contacts should have been in either samsung or google rather than just phone. these accounts should have been sync'd so that all you need to do on your new phone is sign in and your contacts should be ported over this way. if you save your contacts as phone, than smart switch will be able to back them up on your old phone and restore it to the new phone.

.....but again your old phone needs to be on for this to happen.

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0
1. yes you can use smart switch if the old and new phone are from samsung, but your old phone needs to be able to stay on to at least copy the data.
2. smart switch does not save sms messages. you can use something like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore to backup and restore your texts. as far as contacts smart switch should be able to do this. but your contacts should have been in either samsung or google rather than just phone. these accounts should have been sync'd so that all you need to do on your new phone is sign in and your contacts should be ported over this way. if you save your contacts as phone, than smart switch will be able to back them up on your old phone and restore it to the new phone.

.....but again your old phone needs to be on for this to happen.

It seems like smart switch can transfer sms from old phone to new phone, and also make a copy to save in pc? I saw these links
https://gadgetroyale.com/smart-switch-transfer-text-messages/
https://www.wikihow.com/Back-Up-SMS-for-a-Samsung-Galaxy-Device-to-Your-Computer
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00047089/

Upvote 0

1 -- No you cannot at this point. You needed to use the Smart Switch utility to make a full backup of your old phone to your computer, and it's the data in that backup that will be used to transfer your user account from your old phone to the new phone. But there is an important caveat in that Samsung's Smart Switch service is primarily for Samsung devices. And it that covers most but not all Samsung models, and only a limited number of other manufacturers. Check 'Compatibility' for a listing:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch
So there's some conditional factors involved and it would help clarify if you stated what is your old phone and your new phone, and which versions of Android they're running. But again, at this point, with your old phone now non-functional you can't use Smart Switch. At best you have to rely upon the backup you made and manually just restore what you can to your new phone. Keep in mind you're at a big disadvantage now and need to accept a lot of data loss now that your old phone is dead. Just drag-and-dropping files and things only pertained to the data visible and accessible via a file manager. There a a lot of things that are however stored within protected and restricted system-level directories, i.e. your text message database, phone call log history, etc. These are the kind of things a backup utility would have copied over, stuff you don't have direct access to.

2 -- As you've already stated, yes Smart Switch will include text messaging when you do a full backup. It's not quite as comprehensive and seamless as Apple's backup/restore service but Smart Switch is pretty good for the phone models it's compatible with. But now that your old phone is dead, it's very unlikely you'll be able to restore any of your text messaging history to your new phone. There is a very remote chance a recent history listing might be restorable if you log into your online carrier account but don't get your hopes up. Text messaging is not like email messaging where emails will be stored in online email servers hosted by your email provider, text messages are much more ephemeral and typically online retained by each carrier only as long as it takes to transfer them.

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones