• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TRAVELING to Baja MEXICO from USA with Verizon Nexus phone how to use?

Haldroid1

Lurker
May 1, 2012
hi
I will be
TRAVELING to Baja MEXICO from USA with Verizon Nexus phone
I plan to travel from san diego to cabo san lucas, a road trip

what is technology that is used in the USA?
MEXICO?

does my phone do both?

what do I need to go to be able to have cell phone calls inbound and outbound (for calls within mexico and call to from USA) in mexico?

can I buy and use a local sim card there- I assume I will have a local phone number there in Mexico with my phone

I have skype on my phone
how can I get that to work there?
any thing I need to do for that?
with cell service?
with wifi?

can you please help me understand?

what do you recommend I do?

THANKS

Hi Haldroid, and welcome to AF :)

The best advice is probably to speak to your network. To use your phone in Mexico you will need international roaming enabled, I assume.

If I recall correctly Verizon is CDMA. I found a CDMA coverage map for Mexico here: http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Roaming/North_America/Mexico.html. VZ will have other info on their website.

CDMA doesn't use SIM cards, so if you want to use a local SIM, probably the cheapest option, you will need an unlocked GSM handset.
This isn't my part of the world, so I'm sure others will be able to give you more specific advice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones