• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble Downloading E-mails

BlebNevus

Lurker
Apr 26, 2014
Most functions of my new Galaxy S-4 work fine, but e-mails from both of my accounts fail to load reliably or promptly. I click on the recycle button under "combined inbox" or under each account's inbox, and it pauses for a second as if looking - and then nothing happens (even though I know there are e-mails still on the server). Much later, perhaps, the messages may be downloaded spontaneously.

I know the account settings are correct because they load *sometimes*. I know the problem isn't with the servers because the e-mails load instantly to my computer. I know it's not due to my wireless or 4G network because I'm able to do other things on the phone. I thought the issue might be with the sync settings, but I've tried "manual" and "every 15 minutes," and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What can I do to make sure e-mail is pulled down right away, either manually or on its own? Thanks.

There are a few variables at work here - type of account (IMAP or POP3), refresh interval (for syncing) and the email provider. If it's Google, use IMAP, turn off auto-refresh and the emails get pushed to you as soon as they arrive at the server.

For other email providers the situation differs, but it's usually best to use an email app that uses push rather than polling and, for example, using the GMail app for a Yahoo account may not do it so well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. They're both POP3 accounts and neither is Gmail. I'm not using an e-mail app on the phone, just the preinstalled "E-mail" option. Do I have a choice (for non-web-based e-mail)? Would installing an e-mail app help? I'm reluctant to mess with the accounts themselves because, as I mentioned, they work just fine when I download messages to my computers -- regardless of the client. (I used to use Outlook Express, now Thunderbird.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones