• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

truncated emails

jwbruce

Lurker
Nov 12, 2009
My wife and I got hers and his Moto Droids last friday. I replaced my Treo and she replaced her Crackberry. So far, we are really enjoying going Droid. :)

But one little problem.... Using the standard email app on my Droid, emails longer than about 1.5 screens get truncated with a ... I don't see anyway to tell Droid to download the entire message or any settings to that effect. My wife's Droid displays emails that go on for dozens of screens. No truncation at all. Why the difference? Is there a setting somewhere that I missed? I need to read the end of my emails.

Thanks.
jw

PS: Both of our email accounts are linked in via Exchange Servers.
Although, our mail servers are not the same.

Do you by chance connect to a Zimbra mail server (through Exchange?)

See this thread on the Motorola forums:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/70890

"On the off chance that you use zimbra.... Android emails seem to send a truncation setting of 7 and zimbra doesn't know what to do with the 7 so it only receives 512k worth of message. Zimbra has already opened a bug and has fixed it but it has not been implemented yet. Also there is a bodyTruncated indicator that is passed back and as far as we can tell that is being completely ignored by android (so that one is an android bug)."
But also reports of Zimbra fixing the issue in 6.0.4

Upvote 0
I am a total newbie in all respects ... went from being someone without even the most basic cell phone to the new, proud owner of a Droid. I am going very slowly,basically trying to figure out how to do things that I would normally do on my computer. I've never even participated in a discussion thread, so I don't know what I'm doing here either!

Anyway, although I have hundreds of questions, my first one involves this "truncating" problem with emailing (in fact, I actually searched "truncating emails" and immediately found this thread!).

I don't understand the one response you got but I thought you might have solved your own problem ... can you read the original emails in their entirety yet?!! I don't know how to bookmark theads yet, so if you CAN help me, please respond to menagerie16@gmail.com. thank you!!

Upvote 0
I am a total newbie in all respects ... went from being someone without even the most basic cell phone to the new, proud owner of a Droid. I am going very slowly,basically trying to figure out how to do things that I would normally do on my computer. I've never even participated in a discussion thread, so I don't know what I'm doing here either!

Anyway, although I have hundreds of questions, my first one involves this "truncating" problem with emailing (in fact, I actually searched "truncating emails" and immediately found this thread!).

I don't understand the one response you got but I thought you might have solved your own problem ... can you read the original emails in their entirety yet?!! I don't know how to bookmark theads yet, so if you CAN help me, please respond to menagerie16@gmail.com. thank you!!

Upvote 0
On the Motorola Droid2, looking at the list of emails before you open any of them, there's a little number in parenthesis right after the list of addressees. Turns out that this number is the count of emails on the thread of replies back and forth. And when you open the email, just below the subject line is a thin little line saying "x read messages" where x is the number of previous emails. Touch this little thin line and all the previous emails open up and you can read them in full.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones