• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to unlock boot loader on HTC M9

No, not at all. It will factory reset your phone, but it isn't risky itself.

However, people unlock the bootloader in order to modify the phone software, and HTC won't take responsibility for what you do after unlocking. Hence they warn you that warranty claims may be affected if the bootloader is unlocked, because if you weren't planning to make (unauthorised) changes why unlock it in the first place? That's what I meant by "at your own risk" - they reserve the right to treat repairs differently if the bootloader has been unlocked.

Upvote 0
No, not at all. It will factory reset your phone, but it isn't risky itself.
However, people unlock the bootloader in order to modify the phone software, and HTC won't take responsibility for what you do after unlocking. Hence they warn you that warranty claims may be affected if the bootloader is unlocked, because if you weren't planning to make (unauthorised) changes why unlock it in the first place? That's what I meant by 'at your own risk' - they reserve the right to treat repairs differently if the bootloader has been unlocked.

Ok cool thanks

Upvote 0
Ok cool thanks

Hey I've tried to do everything but I don't quite understand what to do.

I tried going along the lines of the dev site and when I get to the token bit it just says fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.
Please can you give me some easy clear steps to unlock the bootloader and get this thing going.

Remember I'm a newbie.
<span style='background-color:#B4B4B4;'>Thanks</span>

Upvote 0
You have installed fastboot in some folder or other on your computer (I assume you have installed it). I don't know where that is: you downloaded it to your computer, so only you know where you downloaded it to. But the problem is that your command line also doesn't know where you put it. So you need to set the "current directory" of your command line to the directory that you put the fastboot program in before you can run the fastboot program.

That's what I was trying to tell you how to do: change the directory of your command line.

So, which folder/directory have you put fastboot in on your computer?

Upvote 0
You have installed fastboot in some folder or other on your computer (I assume you have installed it). I don't know where that is: you downloaded it to your computer, so only you know where you downloaded it to. But the problem is that your command line also doesn't know where you put it. So you need to set the 'current directory' of your command line to the directory that you put the fastboot program in before you can run the fastboot program.
That's what I was trying to tell you how to do: change the directory of your command line.
So, which folder/directory have you put fastboot in on your computer?

I installed the fastboot app on my computer from the htcdev website but I tried to Run it but there is an error. So I'm not sure if that is the problem?

Upvote 0
Do you know the directory name for the desktop? If you don't then that won't help you. It's something you have to run from the command line, you can't just click on an icon.

It just has to be any directory that you can navigate to with a "cd" command. So if you know where it is now (and I don't see how you can move it to the desktop if you don't) then you just need to "cd" from your command line to the current location.

("Desktop" is just a folder like any other. I just can't remember its address right now because I rarely use Windows).

Upvote 0
Do you know the directory name for the desktop? If you don't then that won't help you. It's something you have to run from the command line, you can't just click on an icon.
It just has to be any directory that you can navigate to with a 'cd' command. So if you know where it is now (and I don't see how you can move it to the desktop if you don't) then you just need to 'cd' from your command line to the current location.

Just to be clear does the application need to be run once you have downloaded from the htcdev website?

Upvote 0
That's because "Download" isn't the full directory name.

The full name of a directory is something like "C:\Folder\folder\etc". I don't have a Windows PC to hand so I can't look it up, and it probably has your username in the path anyway. But can you not ask Windows Explorer to give you information or properties of the Download folder? That should show you the full folder path ("path" being the drive name plus sequence of folders and subfolders).

This stuff is how computers actually work - the icons etc is just a bit of gloss over the top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones