• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turn an android phone into a USB microphone

FredKinsei

Lurker
Jun 24, 2010
Would it be possible to create an app that allows your to plug in your android phone via USB, and use it as the computers microphone?

I find that a lot of the time I'll be at a friends house doing something and I'll need a microphone.

Can this be done? Has it been done?

Thanks.

My guess is: not feasible without root, and pretty difficult to implement even on a rooted phone. Too small a market for this app if restricted to rooters.

I think that a Bluetooth mic instead of a USB mic would a little more useful, but is equally difficult to implement if not more so.

Just my $0.02

Upvote 0
I have the complete opposite question of you:

I'd be instrested in using usb microphones with my android phone (the Vibrant's and any other phone's mic suck). There is a company called bluemic that make incredibly good usb microphone and their mics go for less then a hundred bucks on ebay...

Has anyone written an android driver to use USB microphones? would anyone be interested in writting one?

Would it be possible to create an app that allows your to plug in your android phone via USB, and use it as the computers microphone?

I find that a lot of the time I'll be at a friends house doing something and I'll need a microphone.

Can this be done? Has it been done?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have the complete opposite question of you:

I'd be instrested in using usb microphones with my android phone (the Vibrant's and any other phone's mic suck). There is a company called bluemic that make incredibly good usb microphone and their mics go for less then a hundred bucks on ebay...

Has anyone written an android driver to use USB microphones? would anyone be interested in writting one?

That would require USB host mode, which is only available on Android 3.0+ and requires compatible hardware. You'd also need a Micro-USB to full USB adapter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones