• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help UI question

dizzy

Aug 27, 2009
So. CA
A question for all you Sprint HTC Hero owners: can you customize the main screen (homepage?) on your phone? I know you can customize and add pages of icons but can any of those become the default page your phone powers up to? I'd want to remove the HTC Date-Clock-Weather banner and just have a plain wallpaper-type screen with a couple icons on it ... can this be done? Thanks.

A question for all you Sprint HTC Hero owners: can you customize the main screen (homepage?) on your phone? I know you can customize and add pages of icons but can any of those become the default page your phone powers up to? I'd want to remove the HTC Date-Clock-Weather banner and just have a plain wallpaper-type screen with a couple icons on it ... can this be done? Thanks.
people are probably ignoring you because this is a funny question. The answer is yes. take a look at some youtube videos of the phone and thats all they talk about is how you can customize the phone. research!

Upvote 0
Did a bunch of research before posting my questions. Nothing I've seen has clarified whether I could:
1) delete HTC Clock thingy
2) choose an alternate page as my home screen
3) both of the above

I had an HTC Touch and you couldn't use a different home page nor get rid of that huge, useless, ugly-looking gizmo robbing me of valuable screen area ... hence my questions.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response to my questions. And although we're talking about Android OS (not WinMo) as you pointed out, I'd respond that it was HTC's "tweaks" to the WinMo OS that added those useless, ugly parts ... and it was HTC that prevented them from being changed/removed. Lots of WinMo-based phones don't come with tweaks to the OS.

Mostly, I just wanted to be sure that I could dump HTC's tweaks to the Android OS if it turns out I didn't like them. I tend to keep my phones for a few years ... an "eternity" compared to many of the people on this site who churn thru handsets every 6 months ... so I want to be sure that whatever I buy I can live with for a long time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones