• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UK Milestone questions

Hiya, I'm thinking of getting this phone as my next Android phone (currently have the G1) and there are a few questions that i cant find the answers to.

1) I know the UK version comes with Motorola's own satnav software (MOTONAV i think its called?), But can you download & use Google Navigation on it? (I use it on my G1 & i think its one of the best satnavs i have ever owned!)

2) On 2.1 i know the milestone know has 8 or 7 screens (i cant remember which) does this change the layout to look & act like the Hero or does it look & act like the G1 but with more screens?

3) Does the Milestone support push updates from goggle (so when 2.2 is released i will get a notification saying an update is available for the phone)

4) Will this be available from the T-Mobile shop themself's in the future or is it only available online?

Thanks in advance for any help i get ^_^

Edit:Spelling errors

I got the handset on its launch in the UK and LOVE it! To answer your questions:

1. The motonav software is good, but you only get a trial. You have to pay for the full version. 2.1 adds Google Navigation and its much better.

2. 2.1 has up to 9 screens, but none of the layouts change. It's the same as the G1, just more screens.

3. Yes, when an update is available it pops up.

4. Not sure, I got mine from Expansys UK. I've not seen it in any shops though.

ps...welcome to androidforums, I know a KarlosTheJackal at work, but doubt its you.

Reactions: KarlosTheJackal
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the answers! That pritty much sells me on the phone! haha Though I'm not sure on how I'm going to get the phone (Was hoping it was available though a shop so that i could upgrade my contract etc)

I was also worried that the new 9 extra screens was going to make it look like the Hero which i don't like, I love Vanilla Android! But I'm happy to here that that's not the case :)

Also good to here i can use the Google Navigation App over MOTONAV (I didnt realise it was a trail though?! Poor show Motorola) & good to here it has push updates for the Android OS

And to finish, Thank you for the welcome! Ive had a G1 for a while know & while ive often read the forum I've never had a good enough reason to post! Hopefully this will be the first of many ^_^ also since no one at my work has the milestone then I'm guessing I'm not the same person! ^_^

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the answers! That pritty much sells me on the phone! haha Though I'm not sure on how I'm going to get the phone (Was hoping it was available though a shop so that i could upgrade my contract etc)

Just search google.co.uk for Motorola Milestone deals and you will find lost of online shops that sell it with a contract.

Upvote 0
hi guys i gotta droid ive got it working with bt hub ive got o.2 data etc cant get on line. als cant assess my google accont on set up help what am i ding wrong ? im a bit slow 66 old guy

You need to change (or add) the APN for O2. Hit the Menu key while at the initial setup screen.
Details you need are
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
User: mobileweb
Password: password

That will establish a data connection so you can log in and activate Google. If the phone is already activated use Settings / Wireless & Networks / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones