• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Um, I think this battery issue will be a problem...

IHateMyTreo and bxlxaxkxe, are you by chance running the HTC battery widget? This completely killed my battery on my Eris (with 2.1). Once I uninstalled this widget battery time was great. I have also been doing the airplane mode trick. I would look at the threads over on Eris forum related to apps that are creating battery issues.

Upvote 0
IHateMyTreo, are you by chance running the HTC battery widget? This completely killed my battery on my Eris (with 2.1). Once I uninstalled this widget battery was time was great. I have also been doing the airplane mode trick. I would look at the threads over on Eris forum related to apps that are creating battery issues.

This is the kind of stuff I was referring to. A lot of phone issues (battery life/lag) can be tied directly to what apps are installed and running.

A lot of people found that Weatherbug KILLS your battery because it defaulted to location tracking. Once that was disabled, problem solved.

The default SMS app on the Eris caused problems with battery life since it wouldn't let the phone sleep. People had to install a 3rd party app (HandcentSMS) as a work around until they fixed the stock app.

Combine all this with signal and lemon battery issues and you get the kind of results the OP is having.

Reactions: inTECHrity
Upvote 0
I fully charged my phone when it arrived , I did all my installs while it was it was charging. Since then I have barely put the phone down and I am at about 65 percent after over three hours.

This is with active wall papers, 7 screens full of widgets, using WiFi and playing games (i am getting addicted to teeter)

Upvote 0
IHateMyTreo and bxlxaxkxe, are you by chance running the HTC battery widget? This completely killed my battery on my Eris (with 2.1). Once I uninstalled this widget battery time was great. I have also been doing the airplane mode trick. I would look at the threads over on Eris forum related to apps that are creating battery issues.

Not using battery widget.

Trying Airplane Mode trick.

Field Trial Mode says from -79 to -81dbm for RX Power; from -6 to -15.5db for RX EC/IO

Already had weather and location disabled, no BT or Wi-Fi

The battery drained by 80%, not to zero, after 3.5 hours. Email traffic was only light at around 30. Light phone use, plus one video shot.

Upvote 0
Not using battery widget.

Trying Airplane Mode trick.

Field Trial Mode says from -79 to -81dbm for RX Power; from -6 to -15.5db for RX EC/IO

Already had weather and location disabled, no BT or Wi-Fi

The battery drained by 80%, not to zero, after 3.5 hours. Email traffic was only light at around 30. Light phone use, plus one video shot.

Your signal appears to be marginal. EC/IO is pretty bad. EC/IO is basically your signal to noise ratio. The higher the number the worse it is.
New England Cellular Sites :: LG Phone Field Test
Ec/Io (pronounced "ee-see over eye-not") is basically a measure of how well your phone can hear the tower over all the other traffic on the channel. (Don't forget, you are sharing the 1.25 MHz channel with many other users).
A reading near 0.0 is very good. You can find low readings late at night on weekdays when traffic is low. When the reading is high (-12.0 to -15.0), quality will drop and you may even lose the call.
So like I said, signal levels have the biggest impact on power usage.

But if you continue to have short battery life, I would have them swap out your battery or even swap your phone.

There's unless you have something else running in the background there's no reason you should see those results.

Upvote 0
Thanks NKT. CSR said to bring the phone to a store tomorrow and swap it out for a new phone. We'll see what happens. I am concerned because I have read reports that the Incredible gets poor reception, which now makes sense given the findings above. And I always had four bars with my Storm, sitting in the exact same place.

Upvote 0
It's funny because I've read reviews from tech sites that say they get a day's worth of battery life after moderate to heavy use, and on the other hand the OP gets 3.5 hours. My first guess would be that you have a bad battery. 3.5 hours is ridiculous for any device no matter what it's running. Sense is definitely not the problem.

How "heavy" did the reviewers use it? I doubt they use them as heavy as people actually will, unless the articulated what they did.

3.5 hours makes sense IF everything is on and the social apps is updating push mail, GPS (social app can use it), watching Flash vids, etc. If everything is not on, 3.5 seems pretty low. Seems the phone may have issues.

If I keep the Inc (over the Droid) the extended battery will be a first purchase for it.

BTW: NKT, great insight on the radio test parameters! :)

Upvote 0
Your signal appears to be marginal. EC/IO is pretty bad. EC/IO is basically your signal to noise ratio. The higher the number the worse it is.
New England Cellular Sites :: LG Phone Field Test

So like I said, signal levels have the biggest impact on power usage.

But if you continue to have short battery life, I would have them swap out your battery or even swap your phone.

There's unless you have something else running in the background there's no reason you should see those results.

If zero is good, what margins of numeric difference still equals a good signal or bad, in relation to zero as set point?

I am testing the Droid and Inc tomorrow. This will be handy info for reference :) I was going to just test Youtube vids in fringe areas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones