• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root un root htc evo 4g stuck in fastboot/hboot

ackabim2012

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
First time posting here hoping i posted in the correct place.

First im kinda new to rooting and playing around in the android. i received a second hand htc evo 4g that had been rooted i needed to return it to stock to have it flashed to page plus. when attempting to install the zip i found on shipped-roms.com it went through the checking but instead of asking me to update it just went back to the hboot menu where i can select the options.

On the Hboot menu screen it reads
*** unlocked ***
supersonic evt2-3 ship s-on
Hboot-2.18. 0001
microp-041f
touch panel-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.12.19

im not sure if im doing something wrong or trying to use the wrong zip version i'd like to reuturn to stock seeing as the phone doesnt even boot now it goes straight to the boot/hboot menu. If anyone can help that would be great thank you

Upvote 0
Yes that is correct i cannot boot into the rom it sends me straight into fastboot. If i boot into recovery off the hboot screen it takes me to an "Android system recovery screen"
It reads
-Reboot system now
-USB-MS toggle
-Backup/Restore
-Flash zip from sdcard
-wipe
-Partition sdcard
-Mounts
-Other
-Power off
At the bottum of the recovery screen it says Build : RA-supersonic-v2.3

Hopefully this is info that will help you help me lol and im not typing all this for no reason haha

Upvote 0
No problem im doing some other repair work while i do this on the side thanks. And i have done this step #2 installing the stock rom and recovery
1.download the 4.67 PC36IMG file and rename it by deleting everything but the PC36IMG part in the name. make sure not to add an extra zip as windows hides extensions.
2.move it to the root of the sd card that means on the top level of the card and not in any folders.
3.power off then press and hold power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader. if you named the file right and it is on the root of the card then it will ask you to update. select yes.
4.before you reboot your phone double check your bootloader screen. at the top it should say locked and your hboot should be 2.18 with s-on. if that is what you see then congrats!!!!!!!!!! you are now unrooted!!!!!!!!!!!

but after the green text pops up and its reading PC36IMG file the blue loading bar on the right side ends and it just goes back to hboot screen it doesnt ask me to press vol+ to update

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones