1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root undervolted now = always undervolted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sx4dude2013, Jul 26, 2011.

1. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    So im using quickclock advanced to undervolt my phone. Im using stock mhz settings but running off of lower vsel's or whatever. You get what im trying to say. Lol

My question is, since my settings are applied at boot, will they always stay there even if i change roms, deleted the app, sbf, etc?
    Or do i have to redo the calibration and reset everything when i change something?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    sx4dude2013,

Take this with a grain (or bag ;)) of salt since I haven't under/over- clocked- or volted my X (yet) [haven't really found a need to], but from how I understand things work (and how they work on other phones), is that these modifications are done to the kernel and are independent of the ROM being run.

However, since our kernel is locked and is unmodifiable--normally--these apps change the in-memory locations after booting, which gets you around being able to over/under clock/volt our Droid Xs.

If you change or delete the over/under clocking/volting app, your changes would have to be re-done.

I'm sure there's others with direct knowledge or experience can correct me ;).

Cheers!

3. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

It's a temporary setting that does not survive a reboot. the app sets it everytime you boot.

4. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    No need to correct, that's right on.

The kernel settings get loaded into memory at startup, and the app just overwrites the pieces of memory that contain things like clock speed and voltage.

So, when your app is gone - for whatever reason, including uninstalling it yourself or a data wipe to change ROMs - nothing is overwriting settings at startup anymore, and your OC/UC/OV/UV is all gone.

dalem50 and scary alien like this.