• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unfortunately, Google Play has stopped.

How do I do that?

Sorry, but you're talking to a techno-moron here!

Before you do make sure you remember your google password !!!! you will need it to re add the account.

On the home screen click the left hand hardware button (next to the middle home button)

On the pop-up press settings

Scroll down to "personal" Accounts and Sync and press that
now you will see your accounts and you should see one that has the Google symbol and you Google user name

Press that icon and then it will show the options for the account, right at the bottom right you will see "Remove account" (next to Sync now) click on remove account.

You will have another pop-up with remove account and cancel, click on remove account.

To add the account again i personally restart the phone then re go through the steps to get into the accounts and sync page.

this time press "Add account"

scroll down to google icon and press that icon

now press Existing

enter your user name and password followed by sign in .

Reactions: CargoMatatu
Upvote 0
So I tried the same process again, but this time slightly differently.

First, delete account; wait five minutes; shut-down phone.

Second, wait five minutes.

Third, start phone; wait for it to stabilise; add account; wait five minutes; shut-down phone.

Wait five minutes, restart phone.

Problem still there! :-(((

Are you on a custom ROM ? how did you upgrade ?

Try installing the latest apk

com.android.vending-3.10.14.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device

Upvote 0
No custom ROM, no rooting, nothing. As I said earlier I am a techno-moron so everything is basic with me!

I got a push notification from Samsung that a firmware upgrade was available, so I connected my phone to Kies via my pc and the update then took place in the normal Kies way.

My firmware is Hong Kong as I bought it from the duty free while passing through there eighteen months ago.

The previous upgrade from GB to ICS was done the same way and went absolutely smoothly.

My phone's details:

Model number
GT-I9100

Android version

Baseband version
I9100XXLS8

Kernel version
3.0.31-863962
SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 30
22:39:02 KST 2013

Build number
JZO54K.I9100ZSLSH

Upvote 0
No custom ROM, no rooting, nothing. As I said earlier I am a techno-moron so everything is basic with me!

I got a push notification from Samsung that a firmware upgrade was available, so I connected my phone to Kies via my pc and the update then took place in the normal Kies way.

My firmware is Hong Kong as I bought it from the duty free while passing through there eighteen months ago.

The previous upgrade from GB to ICS was done the same way and went absolutely smoothly.

My phone's details:

Model number
GT-I9100

Android version

Baseband version
I9100XXLS8

Kernel version
3.0.31-863962
SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 30
22:39:02 KST 2013

Build number
JZO54K.I9100ZSLSH

You could try to see if you can uninstall the updates to the store, it should go back to the market app and then reinstall the updates

Settings > App Manager >All >Select Google Play Store and Click on Uninstall Updates Button

Clear data while you are there as well

Reactions: CargoMatatu
Upvote 0
Before you do make sure you remember your google password !!!! you will need it to re add the account.

On the home screen click the left hand hardware button (next to the middle home button)

On the pop-up press settings

Scroll down to "personal" Accounts and Sync and press that
now you will see your accounts and you should see one that has the Google symbol and you Google user name

Press that icon and then it will show the options for the account, right at the bottom right you will see "Remove account" (next to Sync now) click on remove account.

You will have another pop-up with remove account and cancel, click on remove account.

To add the account again i personally restart the phone then re go through the steps to get into the accounts and sync page.

this time press "Add account"

scroll down to google icon and press that icon

now press Existing

enter your user name and password followed by sign in .

Ty Man You Were Really helpful <3

Upvote 0
I got the same thing, apparently it's very common. Unfortunately I had to factory reset to get it to stop :-(
It seems very odd that Google allowed an update to their os that was incompatible with some of their apps. I actually had several that were crashing, not just the Play store.
Glad you found a simple solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones